PDA

View Full Version : A-1 grade plywood with putty question

Craig D Peltier
10-13-2011, 1:02 PM
Hi, I purchased some Western Maple ply at $97 a sheet in 3/4 that supposed to be A-1 which I know isn't supposed to have putty on front. The back is a 1 and it has putty as well, along the seams and covering all the knot hole burn through' s.
The job is supposed to be clear and you would think for $100 a sheet I wouldnt have any putty. I just couldnt find a grade acceptance online. For instance if I bought a-1 cherry I wouldnt think putty would be allowed on the 1 side?

Just looking for thoughts.

Supplier is supposed to let me look through the 20 sheets left but all 10 I have have putty ( 8 of 10 on front) and all the rest have it on the back. So Im assuming I wont find 10 A-1 sheets.

Thanks

Peter Quinn
10-13-2011, 8:08 PM
Send that junk back, find another supplier. Actual A-1 plywood will NOT have putty, filler, splices, or other such garbage on the show face nor on the 1 side. Was it actually stamped A-1? Who was the manufacturer? I just bought some A-1 prefinished two sided that cost me less, maybe $90 per sheet retail cost. Beautiful stuff. I have seen putty on C-2 paint grade stuff, but never A-1 in any species. I don't thnk its even allowed by any national grading standards.