PDA

View Full Version : Finish on Cedar

Scott Hussey
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm have turned several pieces(bowls, vases, etc) from a cedar tree I got from a local arborist. Cedar trees large enough to turn are not too common here in Colorado so this has been a treat. I figured out that microwaving them to dry them out works really well and only a few pieces have cracked.

My question is what finish should I use if I want to preserve that "cedar aroma". I want to put a couple of pieces in my office so it smells of cedar. I think it would be cool to incorporate another "sense" into a few of these pieces.

I have finished a couple pieces with wipe on poly and have even tried beeswax/orange oil and everything seems to cover up the smell.

I guess I could go with no finish and just buff them, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a "smell through finish".

Any ideas welcome.

Scott Hackler
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Scott,

Any type of finish on cedar will cover up the smell. What I have thought about doing was to just finish the outside and leave the inside "raw". One of the wierd thing about cedar is that EVERY cedar vessel I have made instinctly causes everyone to pick it up and smell it. Of course they don't get the cedar smell they are looking for but it is kinda funny to witness!

Roger Chandler
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Have you ever considered using cedar oil? I would think that it would not completely seal off the pores of the wood, would soak in, and also allow for the aroma.............I have never tried it myself, just a thought I had.

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2011, 10:29 AM
I use a oil finish on my cedar but like Scott suggested I don't finish the inside. It will leave a slight cedar aroma. Any finish from shellac, lacquer, oils, etc will cover the smell.

Jamie Donaldson
10-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Wax and buff is all that's needed.

Prashun Patel
10-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Pure cedar oil will not dry, and is expensive, so finishing a bowl with it isn't how I'd do it.

Any drying or resin forming finish will seal the wood and prevent the bowl from 'smelling'.

I'd do a wax buffed finish, but I'd scent the wax. I'm fortunate to work for a fragrance company that uses a lot of cedar and wood extract oils. When I make my own anchorseal out of paraffin and mineral spirits, I scent it with this. The aroma lasts for months.

All you have to do is heat your paste wax and put a few drops of cedar oil in it. It won't take much. If you are going to purchase the oil, get Western Red Cedar oil, or secondarily Texas Cedar oil. Virginia and Chinese cedar oils are cheaper, but don't have the aroma you're probably looking for.

If you PM me, I can send you a sample.
- pp

Jim Burr
10-13-2011, 11:23 AM
There is a company in Texas that sells pure cedar oil...used it in cedar lined closets and a couple pens. Smells amazing!!

Jon McElwain
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't know if the wood is hard enough, but I can get a pretty good shine on some woods with rotten stone. Sand to a high grit, say 2000, then use rotten stone with a dab of water to finish buff. It will fill some of the pores (which may end up being undesirable), but it might just give it a satin "finish" look without having a finish at all. I use this method on Purpleheart and some other hardwood finials with good results.

Jon Nuckles
10-14-2011, 12:27 PM
I used mineral oil on a cedar "user" and even that almost completely killed the smell. Not bad in my case, as I prefer Caesar salad to cedar salad. Sounds like Prashun has the right idea for you.