PDA

View Full Version : A Matter of Curiosity

James Combs
10-13-2011, 9:30 AM
In many posts in these forums we frequently use terms like "+1 on your..." or "+(some number) on...". I have been around here long enough to know that it is meant as a positive comment. This and similar forums is the first and only place I have ever seen it. I am just curious on the origin of it. How did it get started, is there some underlying symbolism, or what???:confused: My guess is that what ever its origin, it is going to make me feel stupid when I find out. :eek::rolleyes:

Bruce Page
10-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I don’t think there’s any particular history to it, it is just a ditto statement, e.g. you agree with a previous comment. If you’re the first to agree, you’re +1, second would be +2, and so on.

Susan Kahler
10-13-2011, 4:27 PM
It might also derive from the bonus point system in school, on tests and quizzes.

Dave Lehnert
10-13-2011, 8:40 PM
i don’t think there’s any particular history to it, it is just a ditto statement, e.g. You agree with a previous comment. If you’re the first to agree, you’re +1, second would be +2, and so on.

+1 lol!!!!

Ryan Mooney
10-16-2011, 12:12 AM
I think it actually originates from the fact that so many early message board users are also computer geeks who are notorious for using obscure shorthand. x+1 is well, one greater than x so you are just incrementing the count of the agreement I'm just surprised that ++; didn't catch on, but there was probably some argument whether it was pre or post incrementing (its obviously post incrementing :p for(i=0;i<number_in_agreement; i++){printf("me to");}).