PDA

View Full Version : The bad/good wife

Brian Brown
10-12-2011, 8:51 PM
So my frustrations in getting my lathe fixed have just gotten worse. I finally located a motor that may work on my lathe, but when I went to order it, the company told me that the part number their service dept. had just given me is invalid. Waited for a call back from service dept. and it never came. Repeated calls to them just yielded a recording that said they were too busy to take my call, and I should call back later. Smoke coming out of my ears now.

Over the weekend my wife confessed to sabotaging the lathe so I could finally get to a flat work project she had for me. That's the bad wife part (of course she didn't really "break" it). The good wife in her (trust me, she is all good), said " why don't you quit messing around with finding a motor and just get a new lathe"?!!. :eek::):D Apparently I should get right on that flatwork project... if I remember how to turn the table saw on. We discussed the new lathe and decided to keep working on a new motor. After a few more frustrating hours of motor searching, I visited Tool Nut's site. Scarey dangerous place that Tool Nut web site. Best price I've seen on a Delta 46-460. I went home for lunch and wondering how to tell her it was time for a new lathe. :confused: When I got there, she informed me that CSUSA was out of stock on the 46-460, so we would be driving to Woodcraft (3.5 hours one way + sales tax, gas, and I really don't like the Salt Lake Woodcraft ). She had been shopping too. :) Since she was on board, one phone call to tool nut, and the lathe is on it's way! Now, I can take my time repairing the old lathe. We wanted another lathe, so we don't have to take turns on the old lathe. It was an expensive "repair", but I hope in the long run a good resolution. The best part is that the lathe has a $50 rebate... now what new tools should I apply that to?

Damon Stathatos
10-12-2011, 9:02 PM
Your wife have any sisters ?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-12-2011, 9:17 PM
Congrats Brian!

Do you think Tamara will allow you to use it when she isn't using it? LOL.....

Bill Bolen
10-12-2011, 10:57 PM
I think a new "pink" turning smock might be in order. Congrat's on the new lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Congrats. Brian I can see it now. You had better get the old lathe fixed because the new lathe surely will be hers.:eek::D

Joe Adams
10-12-2011, 11:14 PM
You know you're wife's gonna claim the new lathe, right? ;)

Tamara Brown
10-13-2011, 1:10 AM
You know you're wife's gonna claim the new lathe, right? ;) You are right...I will lay claim to it. Actually, I feel I played this scenario just right! As soon as we can we will get the other one fixed and then we will have dueling lathe weekends!!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-13-2011, 8:28 AM
You know Tamara,
A new lathe like that deserves a couple new tools. I think the handles on the Glaser gouges or a few of Dougs tools would really compliment the lathe. Accessorize, accessorize.
faust

Jim Burr
10-13-2011, 9:19 AM
I think the rebate ought to buy Mrs Brown a nice dinner;):D

Betty Fox
10-13-2011, 9:26 AM
But please no pink smocks. If you must go pink, paint the lathe. :)

Joe Bradshaw
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
+1 on the nice dinner for Mrs B.

Tamara Brown
10-13-2011, 3:02 PM
But please no pink smocks. If you must go pink, paint the lathe. :) Yeah, pink isn't really my color...now if we are talking purple ;)! As for the lathe, I wouldn't dare paint it...I like my lathe to be sawdust covered. I am liking the idea of a nice dinner however! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

ray hampton
10-13-2011, 4:19 PM
May I recommended an nice restaurant in Hawaii

Brian Brown
10-13-2011, 7:58 PM
May I recommended an nice restaurant in Hawaii

Hawaii?!? :eek: Yikes. Please stop giving this woman ideas. I may have to cancel my lathe order. :D

ray hampton
10-13-2011, 10:02 PM
OOPS, in trouble again,we got restaurants from all other nations why not a restaurant that serve only Hawaii food/drinks in the lower 48 states

Tamara Brown
10-15-2011, 1:00 AM
Hawaii?!? :eek: Yikes. Please stop giving this woman ideas. I may have to cancel my lathe order. :D Trust me I have my own ideas!! But I am intrigued by this Hawaii idea!! :)

Carl Civitella
10-15-2011, 3:42 AM
Well!!! did you get the flat work done ?.. You turn the saw on with that little thingy under the table. Carl

Brian Brown
10-15-2011, 8:33 AM
What flat work? *:eek:***The lathe is signed sealed, and delivery imminent. *I don't know about any stinking flatwork! **;)

Carl Civitella
10-15-2011, 11:30 AM
;) yep thats the way i see it

Betty Fox
10-15-2011, 1:49 PM
Gonna be kinda hard spinning up a china hutch to display your turnings. Post a tutorial when y'all figger that one out. :)

Brian Brown
10-15-2011, 2:15 PM
No problem in that dept. Betty. It was the china hutch/display case I built for her that got me the first lathe.*

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?54897-Finished-Display-cabinet&highlight=

:DNow if I can just figure out how to get the porcelain dolls out of the display areas, and and get my turnings in. *Hmmmmmm...