PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Shapers (esp. tilt spindle / sliding table)???

J.R. Rutter
04-21-2003, 11:55 AM
I ran into a used 5 HP Grizzly shaper with tilting spindle and sliding table and am wondering if it is worth making an offer on. It is fairly new and still has the export ghrease on many parts. This would be the #3 shaper in my door making setup, used for the cope cuts on rails.

I'm concerned about tolerances on the spindle and sliding table. For production work, things have to be right on, and stay right on.

My other shapers have solid spindles, and the Grizzly comes with 3 removeable spindles. Anyone using a similar Grizzly shaper? What can I expect in the way of runout?

Can I expect the sliding table to run problem free, or am I setting myself up for constant fiddling?

Thanks,

JR

Bobby Hatfield
04-21-2003, 3:03 PM
"J" the used Grizzly should be fine if it isn' t broken. I run three Grizzly shapers for doors and would love to find one of those 5HP models discounted. I don't know about the sliding table but if it slides on ways or tubes and doesn't wobble, snap it up if it can be had for 75% of new cost.

J.R. Rutter
04-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback Bobby,

How do you personally approach unplanned equipment purchases like this? The budget for new tools is prety tight, and the return on investment is pretty long (probably years instead of months).

Bobby Hatfield
04-22-2003, 3:52 PM
"J" If you have two solid spindle Weaver, Ritter or other high end shapers with all the attachments, then I would think twice about the Grizzly unless there are other uses besides cutting the ends of rails. The Weaver system is great for cabinet doors in a one or two man shop, stacked systems on a Ritter type machine is great for a one man operation. If you don't have one of these type systems for your door making and are doing other milling operations then I would consider the Grizzly. I would like to have an old double spindle shaper, with left and right cutters to do the arched rail operation instead of changing my setup, which is not that much of a problem, I have a 1/4" plate under my setup and just remove it to cut the arch's with the jig, I get some blowouts but have all ops set up permanant so another rail is not that much trouble. As far as the "purchase plan" goes, it seems to lose out because those oportunities are never in line with it. I usally buy when I have gone as far as I can go without a new machine. If the job will pay for new maching is the way some have gone. Was the purchase worth the cost question after the purchase is what I base the next purchase on also. Its a tough call.

J.R. Rutter
04-22-2003, 8:32 PM
Bobby,
I've got 2 5 HP Powermatics and some shop built jigs. I use one for panels ( I changed the pully ratios to slow it down) and the other for moulding, rails, and stiles. I run several profiles, and am adding more as time goes, so I generally have to change tooling at the start of a run. As you know, going back to remake a part is tough when the setup has changed, so the third shaper would help out that way.

I like the PM machinery, but probably should have kept looking for a used Ritter system when I was setting up shop.

Thanks,
JR