PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco Pipe?

Keel McDonald
02-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Hello all. I met up with a friend over the weekend who had hand-carved a wooden tobacco pipe, or at least tried to. I was wondering if any of you out there had any experience with one? Any tips, tricks, tools used, grain configuration, wood type, finishes, anything would be helpful. I think I might try my hand at one, but wanted to get any help I could first. Thanks for looking.

Bob Smalser
02-28-2005, 3:41 PM
Look for a site that sells fine pipes like Dunhill and read up on how they are made.

Smoking pipes are made from the roots of only one species of Mediterranian briar that doesn't burn....and those roots have so many defects that it's difficult to make a "first" quality pipe.

RichMagnone
02-28-2005, 4:56 PM
Most pipes are made from Briar - some can be made of a bit more "exotic" woods, but the best smokers are Briar (and Meershaum which is a white (until well smoked) chalk/clay like substance)

Try this link for a quick entry:

http://www.thepiperoom.com/pipes/carve_a_pipe/carve_a_pipe.html

Also, many of the smaller pipemakers in the USA are very helpfull and willing to take a moment to speak with someone who has an inquiry. Mark Tinsky (http://www.lookoutnow.com/pipe/m-pipe2.htm) or J.M. Boswell http://www.boswellpipes.com/) might be good pipemakers to start with. Also, take a look at pipes.org for more.

Keel McDonald
03-03-2005, 9:47 AM
Thanks Bob & Rich. The websites helped. I appreciate your input.

Mark J Bachler
03-03-2005, 9:50 AM
You know smoking tobacco is bad for you.

Just thought I’d throw that in.;)

Byron Trantham
03-03-2005, 9:59 AM
You know smoking tobacco is bad for you.

Just thought I’d throw that in.;)

So is sticking your finger into a running blade! :mad:

Just thought I would throw THAT in! :D :D

Bob Johnson2
03-03-2005, 1:11 PM
I carved one a few years ago which works fine, it is from briar root. I got the predrilled blank and stem from a place off the net, has great directions too. And best of all, no notice telling you that it's bad for your health. I'll dig out the web address and email it later today. They drill them out to your plans so you can make exactly the style you want. They also carry many that are hand made so you can look through them and figure out what style you like to order your blank for. You'll understand after you read up on it. The briar is hard as rock if you plan on using knives, I used a shurform them just progressive grits of sandpaper, really quite easy. If you want to get fancy a power carver would work. Shine it up with carnuba wax and a buffing wheel. Oh yea, don't go too big, their darn heavy that way.

David Wilson
03-03-2005, 2:32 PM
I roll my own cigs so don't need a pipe.

Bryan Nuss
03-03-2005, 3:04 PM
Bob, could you please also e-mail me that address for the pipe "blanks"?

I am a pipe smoker and enjoy a pipe break to consider the next move in the shop. As a bonus, it keeps the flies down in the summer!

RichMagnone
03-03-2005, 3:28 PM
There actually is an obsure report from the surgeon general from around 1979 that disclosed that pipe smokers may actually live LONGER than the average.

Harry Thornton
03-03-2005, 4:05 PM
probably has more to do with the demographics and psychological profiles of people that smoke pipes. I have never known a type A person that smoked a pipe. Not too many poor people either. Laid back people of reasonable means tend to live longer. Just a guess.

George M. Perzel
03-03-2005, 7:33 PM
Hi Guys;
Oh boy!- talk about nostalgia. I smoked a pipe for 35 years and quit about 13 years ago when the masses dictated no more smoking in the workplace. Many of them were the same people who would say "love the smell of your pipe"!
Pipe smoking was an entirely different process than smoking a cigarette or a cigar (which is also different in its own way). The cleaning, packing, tamping, lighting, relighting ritual was a tension-relieving process which provided an atmosphere for pensive reflection and concentration. In spite of the burned tongue, innumerable burned holes in shirts (always a new one), and a worn eye tooth (holding the stem in the same position) I still miss the old briar and have threatened to start again when I hit 70-figuring I won't have much to lose by then!
I also attempted to make some pipes out of imported briar blocks (from some UK company?) and actually turned the bowl and shank on a wood lathe, but never finished the handwork part. I still have those blocks and some associated pipe tools,stems,wax, etc - will send them free to anyone who is serious about making a pipe and committs to post the results on this forum with 6 months.
Rich-I am, however, very interested in that report regarding the longevity of pipe smokers and would love to see a copy- strickley for research, of course.
George M. Perzel

Bob Smalser
03-03-2005, 8:34 PM
I been a "Half and Half" man most of my life as that's what my mentors puffed on as a kid. Holding the truck steering wheel while Uncle Merle or Dad applied a kitchen match to their pipes remains an early memory. I still love the pure smell and taste of good old Burley-Bright with no sugars or perfumes.

I've no reason at all to make a pipe as Ebay is full of pretty good ones pretty cheap. Partial to Peterson and Duncan Hill.

Bad for me? Maybe. Not having my main thinking aid would probably be worse, tho. ;)

RichMagnone
03-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Here is a link to the 1964 report of the surgeon general

http://www.pipes.org/surgeon.html

I have heard people explain that the "pensive nature" of most pipe smokers probably is the real reason for the additional longevity. The American Cancer Society did a more recent study that showed a 10% shorter life span for pipe and cigar smokers, however, I view their research as very politically biased.

I am a believer in moderation. I would think that, like wine, a good pipe or cigar here and there probably won't lead to my downfall. Inhaling 6 cigars a day might though. Kinda like the red wine studies. I would also suppose that inhaling wood dust would have similar effects, but the cancer society is not out in force to ban woodworking... yet.

Keel McDonald
03-04-2005, 7:25 AM
Here is a link to the 1964 report of the surgeon general

http://www.pipes.org/surgeon.html

I have heard people explain that the "pensive nature" of most pipe smokers probably is the real reason for the additional longevity. The American Cancer Society did a more recent study that showed a 10% shorter life span for pipe and cigar smokers, however, I view their research as very politically biased.

I am a believer in moderation. I would think that, like wine, a good pipe or cigar here and there probably won't lead to my downfall. Inhaling 6 cigars a day might though. Kinda like the red wine studies. I would also suppose that inhaling wood dust would have similar effects, but the cancer society is not out in force to ban woodworking... yet.
Rich,

It's probably a good thing about the wood dust, otherwise I might commence to smoking 6 cigars a day, and drinking too!