PDA

View Full Version : Firewood in Connecticut thread

John Coloccia
10-12-2011, 4:42 PM
Anyone else having trouble finding good firewood in the Hartford/Eastern Connecticut area? I'm looking. I need about another chord to get through the winter, but I'm afraid to buy any because I so often get poorly seasoned wood that won't burn in my Jotul insert. I think I'll be all set for next year as I have a lot of trees that are coming down and I know how to properly season firewood!

Anyone have any leads?

Mike Cutler
10-12-2011, 6:05 PM
John

I don't know where you're at in CT, I'm in Griswold, exit 85 on I 395, but I just had 5 cords of wood delivered last week.
I've been buying wood from the same guy for the last 20+ years and it has always been consistently outstanding. I buy in cut/split cords, but a co-worker in East Haddam buys in log length. He got a great deal and there were no issues.
If you're close enough I can ask the wood guy if he'd like another client. He's pretty local to the Griswold/Plainfield area though.
I think that the sheer numbers of trees that came down with Irene is effecting the quality of cordwood. Too many folks trying to make a quick buck.

I use a QuadraFire 5700 step top stove for heat ( Primary source of heat). At 70K Btus, it may not be as finicky as your Jotul insert.

John Coloccia
10-13-2011, 2:54 PM
I'm in Bolton. If you think he'd deliver up my way, let me know. I could probably use another 2 cords. Shoot me a PM with his name and number.