PDA

View Full Version : Colored Hardwoods for Segmented Bowls

Dave Masters
10-12-2011, 3:00 PM

The Board Hoarder (Kirkland, WA) suggested some unusual "dyed" ash not long ago, and it led to this. To make it clear: the dark color was added before the bowl was turned, and the dye is quite uniform throughout the grain. The pigment is probably added to the hardwood through a steam pressure process, much like pressure-treating woods for outdoor use. This one is about 9 inches tall and 11 inches at the widest measurement.

C&C Welcome.

Norm Zax
10-12-2011, 4:10 PM
Very cool! Pity the image is so small. Would be interested to hear how the dye goes so deep. Dye usually goes less than half an inch in when soaked. Pressure does sound like the only route.

Curt Fuller
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow, I like that!

Jon McElwain
10-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I really like the contrast between the dyed ash and the hardwood feature ring! I also like the wide color segments in the feature ring with a little dark wood in between each one. Only nit would be shape - perhaps a little shorter foot, and/or play with the curvature a little?? Anyway, minor critique to a very attractive piece.

Jamie Buxton
10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Is the ash really dyed? I notice that Matthew Burak is now offering what they call Thermo Ash lumber. (It is in the printed catalog, but not on the web site.) Thermally-modified lumber has been cooked in a low-oxygen atmosphere at a temperature above what's the usual ignition point of wood. The process turns ash into a deep brown color, according to the photos in the printed catalog. The color change runs completely through the lumber.

Baxter Smith
10-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I like the color contrast on your bowl Dave though a larger picture would be esier for me to see.:) I was given a piece of what was called "smoked ash" this summer. It is brown in color. I wonder if it is the same type of stuff Jamie was referring too as well.

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2011, 11:17 PM
That is a cool piece. Color is really nice.

Joe Watson
10-13-2011, 2:18 AM
Thats great, from the image it almost looks like a smoky sky.

Another vote for bigger pictures :)

_

Russell Neyman
10-13-2011, 8:54 AM
I've seen this particular bowl in person at the Olympic Peninsula Woodturners' meeting, and it's a blue-ish gray and very unusual. I imagine there are all sorts of possibilities, and I'll ask Sumner Woodworking Supply for more details the next time I visit. My impression is that the process -- whatever the process is -- can only be done on one-by stock or thinner so that the color goes all the way through. Seems to me there are limited markets for this wood, but segmented bowls is one of them.

Jim Burr
10-13-2011, 9:16 AM
Looks like stained glass...beautiful job!!

Russell Neyman
10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I talked to Dave yesterday and he says the colored wood is called "Wyolalla Ebony" or something like that. He thinks it's probably ash but might be hickory. He bought it from Sumner Woodworking in Sumner, Washington.