PDA

View Full Version : Beaded Madrone HF w/Finial...

Wally Dickerman
10-12-2011, 2:47 PM
I got lucky...This one made the cover on WoW yesterday. Madrone burl is one of my favorite woods to turn. The finial is ebony. I have been using this finial form for several years on some of my pieces. I have also admired Keith Burns pieces using a similar finial form. I first saw it when Jack Straka posted a piece on WoW several years ago.

Size is about 8 inches high w/o the finial. C&C welcome.

Russell Neyman
10-12-2011, 3:13 PM
Nicely done, Wally. As you know, I work with the local madrone quite a bit. I'm always reluctant to add a lot of beads because (a) it might distract from the beautiful grain, and (b) there might be extensive tear-out. You've proven that those concerns are in my head. This wood was well-cured, right? Otherwise, you'd have a tough time keeping the lid in place, as much as this stuff warps when turned green.

Congratulations on the cover shot, too.

Wally Dickerman
10-12-2011, 3:38 PM
Nicely done, Wally. As you know, I work with the local madrone quite a bit. I'm always reluctant to add a lot of beads because (a) it might distract from the beautiful grain, and (b) there might be extensive tear-out. You've proven that those concerns are in my head. This wood was well-cured, right? Otherwise, you'd have a tough time keeping the lid in place, as much as this stuff warps when turned green.

Congratulations on the cover shot, too.

Thanks Russell. Yes the wood was dry and it had been previously boiled to stablize it. I've also turned a lot of madrone (madrona in Wa) and it's without a doubt the most unstable wood in North America until it's been steamed or boiled.

You must live on the west side of Puget Sound or on the peninsula. I lived most of my life in Puget Sound country. Anacortes, before coming to Arizona. I love 350 days a year of sunshine!!

Norm Zax
10-12-2011, 4:08 PM
Beautiful design and execution!

Russell Neyman
10-12-2011, 4:11 PM
Even after boiling and bagging (3-4 months, usually, to get it to the required 12%) I still get a small amount of distortion. I think the boiling method is often overlooked, and I don't see many comments about that technique on these boards. I read an article by Steven Russell recently about how critical the length of boiling is, and how you need at least one hour for every inch of thickness. Well, I go ahead and boil it for 3-4 hours, and it always turns out wonderfully.

As far as the weather comments go, I lived in Southern California for 35 years and am quite happy with my decision to "retire" in a place that has four seasons instead of just one. I never watched The Weather Channel before moving here!

I love turning madrone!

John Keeton
10-12-2011, 4:50 PM
I got lucky...This one made the cover on WoW yesterday.Surely, you jest!! Luck had nothing to do with that, Wally! Your work is phenomenal and this piece is no exception. Great color contrast, and the form is wonderfully accented with the beads. They appear to be somewhat graduated (progressively smaller toward the base) - is that correct?

David DeCristoforo
10-12-2011, 4:55 PM
Great looking piece and a rousing "welcome back" for you on WoW. Cover selection is well deserved!

Wally Dickerman
10-12-2011, 5:03 PM
Surely, you jest!! Luck had nothing to do with that, Wally! Your work is phenomenal and this piece is no exception. Great color contrast, and the form is wonderfully accented with the beads. They appear to be somewhat graduated (progressively smaller toward the base) - is that correct?

Thanks John....I could make myself look really good with the beads and say yes, they get smaller toward the base, but I won't...just camera angle. All done with the same shopmade (secret) tool.:)

Jamie Donaldson
10-12-2011, 5:03 PM
Of course most of y'all don't know the background story of Wally's legendary TOP SECRET beading tool! He has led us along for years over on the WOW site, and now he has a new bunch of marks to tease!

Bob Bergstrom
10-12-2011, 5:09 PM
Super cool Wally. Really like the display of skill turning the beads. Finial is icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing.

Wally Dickerman
10-12-2011, 5:22 PM
Of course most of y'all don't know the background story of Wally's legendary TOP SECRET beading tool! He has led us along for years over on the WOW site, and now he has a new bunch of marks to tease!

Geez Jamie...I posted a photo of my beading tool on WoW.

The southern term y'all reminds me of the first time I went into the south (except for a previous trip to Florida). We landed in Cincinnati and drove south toward Lexington and Berea. It was at night and an illuminated sign on a Water tank in Florence Ky said...Florence Y'all...We'd crossed the river and were now in the south. We got a boot out of that.

We were on our way to the first AAW symposium in Lexington in 1987. Went on to Berea to visit Rude Osolnik.

Roger Chandler
10-12-2011, 5:29 PM
Nice form ...........love the smooth transition from the top to the lid and finial. First class all the way, Wally!

Jamie Donaldson
10-12-2011, 7:00 PM
Wally- that water tower originally said Florence Mall, but due to some controversy had to be changed to say Y'all, and I attended that '87 AAW Symposium in Lexington! You drove within 6 mi. of my home going down I-75, and you would now be pleased to see the KY Artisan Center at the Berea exit with a nice permanent display of Rude's work, but sadly not much has changed up on Poverty Ridge, and it is falling into ruin.

Jon McElwain
10-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Wally - I really like this piece. I think my favorite part is the angle point near the top of the HF above the beads. Distinct angle, yet ever so slightly chamfered. All the proportions are perfect. I bet it feels really nice in the hand - the satin finish on those beads is inviting. Well done.

Baxter Smith
10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Very pretty Wally. I don't know if it can have an "understated elegance" with all those beads, but thats what come to mind with the overall shape and colors it has.

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Really a nice piece Wally. The finial and beading just make that piece stand out.

Kathy Marshall
10-13-2011, 12:56 AM
Beautiful piece Wally! Love the beading!