PDA

View Full Version : My daughter is in the AAW Journal!

Doug W Swanson
10-12-2011, 2:46 PM
Most of you know the story about how my 10 year old daughter went to the AAW Symposium with me this summer and ended up winning a lathe from the Youth Turning Class. Now she's pictured in the latest AAW Journal with Avelino Samuel working on the lathe.

It's on page 9 of the October 2011 issue. I'd post the picture but I don't want to infringe on any copy right laws!

Pretty cool deal if you ask me!

Wally Dickerman
10-12-2011, 2:51 PM
You're right, it is a pretty cool deal. Congratulations to you and your daughter.

charlie knighton
10-12-2011, 3:44 PM
+1 on pretty cool deal, Doug

Steve Schlumpf
10-12-2011, 4:09 PM
That's really cool Doug! Good photo! Not many kids make it into magazines!! Makes her famous!!

Jeff Nicol
10-12-2011, 6:48 PM
Doug, When I started looking at the magazine and got to that part, I noticed right away that your daughter was there in the pictures! I knew you would be the very proud father you are and post a thread here for us, to again share in your joy! Again, congratulations to Abby and her prize, it was great to get to meet her at the symposium!

Is she starting to pass you by in her turning skills yet???? I bet you both have great times turning together, something to be cherished, as they grow up so fast. Then soon you will be a grandpa like me and many of the others here on SMC, then you will be waiting for the first time spending a day in the shop with the grandkids!

Congrats again Dad,

Jeff

cal thelen
10-12-2011, 6:56 PM
thats really cool congrats to you and your daughter

Alan Trout
10-12-2011, 7:33 PM
Doug, I saw that. Pretty cool.

Alan

Scott Hackler
10-12-2011, 8:03 PM
That was cool Doug! I was frantically looking through the shots of the AAW Symposium to see if I would see anyone I knew!

Baxter Smith
10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Congrats Doug! Is it framed yet?;):)

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Congrats. That is a cool picture. What a proud moment. Like Baxter said is the pic's framed yet????

Greg Just
10-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I thought that was your daughter - congrats!

Doug W Swanson
10-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Doug, When I started looking at the magazine and got to that part, I noticed right away that your daughter was there in the pictures! I knew you would be the very proud father you are and post a thread here for us, to again share in your joy! Again, congratulations to Abby and her prize, it was great to get to meet her at the symposium!

Is she starting to pass you by in her turning skills yet???? I bet you both have great times turning together, something to be cherished, as they grow up so fast. Then soon you will be a grandpa like me and many of the others here on SMC, then you will be waiting for the first time spending a day in the shop with the grandkids!

Congrats again Dad,

Jeff

Jeff, We haven't had much shop time yet. Abby's been busy with sports and school while I've been busy with many outdoor projects that need to be done before the snow flies. I'm hoping to get shop time with her (and my 8 yr old son) when it gets colder here. It seems like the winter is when I get most of my lathe time!

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I haven't framed the picture yet but I do plan on it!

Kathy Marshall
10-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Very cool Doug! How does it feel to have a celebrity in the family?!