PDA

View Full Version : More questions on bowl turning...

Mark Kelly
02-28-2005, 11:42 AM
This weekend, I finally was able to rough out the second ambrosia maple bowl blank from Jim. This on was a little smaller diameter but a little deeper. I tried some different ways of holding the tool...trying to find that sweet spot. This time I didn't have to use a scraper! I know it sounds silly, but it is a big step for me. However, I am still doing some stuff wrong, or at least I think I am.

I can get the outside of the bowl considerably smooth. However the end-grain is very fuzzy and whatever I try it comes out fuzzy. (I have not tried a shear cut yet, so maybe that would work?) Then I thought maybe it was the way I sharpen the tool. I just grind it on the 60 grit wheel I have. Should I use the 120 grit to sharpen the gouge?

On the inside of the bowl, I finally got it to the point where I can ride the bevel about half way in the bowl before my tool handle hits the base of the lathe. Is my tool too long? The tool is about 20" total. Maybe I need a bigger lathe?? :)

For the life of my, I cannot get the inside smooth. It has ridges all the way. Since it is a rough-out I don't worry about it for now, but I do want to get better so I will have less work in the future.

To practice more for finishing cuts I turned a pine bowl out of a piece of 2x6. My kids think it is great so it will be theirs when it is finished.

Harry Pye
02-28-2005, 2:45 PM
Mark,

On Bill Grumbine's video he demonstrates four tool presentations for cutting on the inside of a bowl. It would be worth the investment for you.

Also, pine is a great wood for tearing out! I'm coming to the conclusion that the harder the wood, the better it turns. Pine is cheap and great for practice if you understand about the tearout. If you can turn it without tearout, it may be time to make your own video! :o

Mark Kelly
02-28-2005, 3:09 PM
Yes, maybe I need to review the part on finishing bowls for the cut on the inside to get it smooth. But, if I remember, doesn't his rough-out look almost smooth without the shear cuts?

Actually on the pine (actually it may be doug fir) I did get a small bit of tearout on the outside, but nothing on the inside. Probably just got lucky. However, I did have to sand out some grooves, but that was because I am still learning how to do the inside...as stated from above.

Harry Pye
02-28-2005, 6:11 PM
Yes, maybe I need to review the part on finishing bowls for the cut on the inside to get it smooth. But, if I remember, doesn't his rough-out look almost smooth without the shear cuts?

Bill turns a lot and has been turning for a long time. He knows that he knows how to turn. When you remove the fear factor, it helps a lot. Or so I've been told. Haven't begun to reach that point. Bill shows a couple cuts for the outside. One with a swept back grind on a bowl gouge has the gouge nearly upside down. Takes off feathery little shavings and leaves a very smooth surface. He does nearly the same thing inside the bowl. But, don't listen to me, take another look at the video.