PDA

View Full Version : Grizzley vs Jet Band Saw Opinions

Paul Merrill
10-11-2011, 11:02 PM
I've been looking at picking up a band saw for my shop. I've narrowed it down to the Grizzley G0513P and the Jet JWBS-14DXPRO. The Grizzley comes with a 2 hp motor, the Jet a 1-1/4 hp, the other specs look pretty similar. Prices are pretty close, the Grizzley does come with a fence and miter gauge. Has any one had any experiences with either of these?

Michael N Taylor
10-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I do not have that model Grizzley but I do have a 17" xtreme series from Grizzley and it is an excellent saw. The 2 hp is great especially for resawing.

Joe Watson
10-12-2011, 1:16 AM
I have the Grizzle G0513 (not the 'P', don't know the difference) for six months or so.
First bandsaw ive ever owned, do not have a single complaint.

Have used it for roughing out acouple bowl blanks, resawed about 15 foot of walnut planks (10" wide/tall using 3/4" blade), sliced up four or five 3-1/2' long 5-8" dia willow logs to make some small planks along with roughing out some designs to be later finished with a table router with a trimming bit. When hooked to my dust collect (only the top port of the saw - i capped off the bottom (havnt had time to run ductwork)) the dust collection worked good, big difference then not using any dust collection.

Was shipped via tractor trailer, delivery went smooth.
Assemble didn't take long, was easy - i have it wired for 220v.

_

Russell Eaton
10-12-2011, 6:58 AM
I had the Jet and had no complaints. The only reason that I don't have it still is that it was traded for a 18" Jet. The 1 1/4 hp motor is a horse, I never had any problems with it and the man I traded with still likes it.

Al Wasser
10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I have a different Griz that is a piece of junk. The worst tool I ever bought.

John Keeton
10-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Paul, I know you are interested in this bandsaw primarily for turning related use, and that is why I left it in the Turner's Forum. However, you might get a broader base of responses if it were moved to the General Woodworking forum. We will leave it here for a day or so, but it probably needs to be moved at that point.

Paul Merrill
10-12-2011, 2:49 PM
John, I posted it in both sections, getting alot of info from both areas.

John Beaver
10-12-2011, 4:24 PM
I've owned both brands. I recommend the Grizzly. Comparatively it is a much sturdier, stronger saw. You will like the extra weight, larger table and larger wheels. The jet tends to feel a little top heavy, causing more vibration. I have the Grizzly Extreme and am very satisfied with it.