PDA

View Full Version : Walnut sq. bowl

Allan Ferguson
10-11-2011, 8:46 PM
Black walnut bowl, 2" high 10" sq. Finished with BLO & Bee's wax. Completed with one busted blood knuckle and broken finger nail. Chill and wet in this area.

jeff vanek
10-11-2011, 9:31 PM
very nice!!

Steve Mawson
10-11-2011, 9:47 PM
Very nice Allan, I hope my first try will be that good when the time comes.

Curt Fuller
10-11-2011, 9:54 PM
Very pretty! I like the way the rim of the bowl rises from the wood.

Completed with one busted blood knuckle and broken finger nail.
And maybe a few new curse words??

Roger Chandler
10-11-2011, 10:23 PM
That is a good looking turning Allan!

Jamie Donaldson
10-11-2011, 10:32 PM
That's a good start Allan, but the criteria I use is the wings should be uniformly thin from edge to edge, and not sharp at the corners. That is a real test of tool control as well as sanding skill.

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice looking bowl. I like the wings to be thin all the way across. They definitely can be a knuckle buster. No hands, fingers, etc on the other side of the tool rest for sure.

Paul Heely
10-12-2011, 5:55 AM
I was just looking at the walnut boards I had left over from my flat work days and wondering what to do with them. I think I'll have to try some of these winged bowls. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle Rich
10-12-2011, 7:05 AM
cool..looks like it grew out of there.

John Keeton
10-12-2011, 7:35 AM
I was just looking at the walnut boards I had left over from my flat work days and wondering what to do with them....Paul, a problem we share!! I have a barn full of lumber that was intended for a retirement of furniture projects - what was I thinking when I bought that first lathe!!!

Allan, I love the walnut and you did a nice job on the turning. I also favor even thickness on the wings, but each to his own. You should be proud of this one!

Steve Vaughan
10-12-2011, 7:48 AM
Nice bowl, nice design. No pic of busted knuckle and fingernail? Probably didn't happen, really.:D

Jamie Donaldson
10-12-2011, 11:25 AM
209897If you have a thin piece of wood you want to turn square, like this quilted bubinga that was 8" long but less than 1" thick, glue a waste block on the back to hold in chuck jaws. Medium CA worked fine, and the waste block was wasted away, leaving no traces of how the piece was attached for turning. It's a shame to not use beautiful wood just because it presents a problem of how to mount for turning!