PDA

View Full Version : A burly gloat!

John Keeton
10-11-2011, 6:41 PM
Got my shipment in from North Woods (http://www.nwfiguredwoods.com/) today - some dry box elder burl. This is some beautiful stuff!!! The sealer they used has a yellow cast - the burl is actually very light in color.

Les threw in a piece of spalted BLM burl for me to check out, as well. I will be getting some more of that - very nice figure with some beautiful color.

I mentioned previously buying some burl and curly maple blocks from Les while at AAW, and I contacted him to see what new stuff he might have. He cut this to my specs. Most of the blocks are 6x6x3, the larger one is 8x8x3, and the tallest NE piece is 12" tall.

I know most of you guys enjoy harvesting your own wood, but honestly I just don't care for it. Most everything I turn is with figured wood, and while I have access to a lot of hardwoods, finding burls is rare. And, I just don't enjoy spending a day cutting wood. I celebrate the enjoyment the rest of you gain from that, but I prefer to spend the time I have available doing other things.

This will be another regular source for me I suspect - nice folks! No financial interest except - as usual - they now own some of my money!

Tony De Masi
10-11-2011, 6:46 PM
Nice gloat there JK.

After a long day cutting and slabbing logs I can understand your not really wanting to spend time doing it. I can wear you down real quick. But on the other hand, when I get together with the other Muskateers, it's really a fun day. When it's over of course......

Roger Chandler
10-11-2011, 6:46 PM
That is some nice stuff, John................since it is dry, should not take you too long to get a new piece drawn up, turned and posted on SMC........looking forward to what that grey matter underneath the white hair and pony tail :D comes up with next!

David Reed
10-11-2011, 7:17 PM
Fine collection. Can't wait to see just what you will come up with next. You always seem to generate something new and different. The figure looks fabulous on the exposed surfaces.
Let us know how that spalted BLM comes out and what, if anything, you need to do to it to cut it. Based on my experiences, it looks like it could be pretty soft from the pic.

David E Keller
10-11-2011, 7:23 PM
Looks like beautiful stuff, John. I checked out the website, but I didn't see the boxelder anywhere... I certainly didn't see that gorgeous spalted maple burl either! I'm guessing that boxelder is gonna get slathered with some dye, huh?

John M. Smith
10-11-2011, 7:59 PM
The spalted maple is beautiful !!

David DeCristoforo
10-11-2011, 8:08 PM
Ooo, oo, oooooo... Nice! Esp those tall NE pieces. Looks like killer figure...

Baxter Smith
10-11-2011, 8:09 PM
Great looking stuff John. You must be excited! Didn't even take the time to clean up those shavings.;):)

John Keeton
10-11-2011, 8:10 PM
Let us know how that spalted BLM comes out and what, if anything, you need to do to it to cut it. Based on my experiences, it looks like it could be pretty soft from the pic.David, it passed the fingernail test - I think it was harvested at just the right moment - but, we shall see!

Looks like beautiful stuff, John. I checked out the website, but I didn't see the boxelder anywhere... I certainly didn't see that gorgeous spalted maple burl either! I'm guessing that boxelder is gonna get slathered with some dye, huh?Les goes through a lot of wood and it is best to call him to see what he has. And, yes, I suspect some of the boxelder might be introduced to a more colorful future!;)

Baxter, I was hoping no one would notice that horrible mess in my shop!

Chris Burgess
10-11-2011, 8:22 PM
Ohh WOW. That is some great looking burl.

Scott Hackler
10-11-2011, 9:16 PM
That does look like some real nice stuff. We don't have many trees with burl or curl around here either so I have to buy it, so I understand that part. Speaking of box elder...........did you ever put a tool to that block I sent you?

Wally Dickerman
10-11-2011, 9:47 PM
Box elder burl...one of my favorites to turn. How does he get wood like that that is dry?

Forest Grove, Or......I may pay him a visit next summer. I have a lot of family in Portland and spend several weeks there every summer.

John Keeton
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Speaking of box elder...........did you ever put a tool to that block I sent you?Not yet, Scott, but I do have a sketch that will permit use of that block so it is in the pipeline. It has some beautiful color!

Curt Fuller
10-11-2011, 10:31 PM
John, that's almost obscene! The folks from Northwoods made a stop at our local turning club on their way to the Rocky Mountain Symposium in Colorado with a trailer loaded with wood. I wasn't able to get off work in time to see what they had. Now I know what I missed.

I'm starting to wonder if buying wood might be the way to go. When you start adding up the costs of chainsaws, new chain, sharpening, gas, oil, time, bandsaws, bandsaw blades, and Advil, not to mention all the time it takes away from turning, it just might be the way to go. Besides, I'm getting old.

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Really nice looking wood John. I have started buying a little more wood as that chainsawing then loading all that wood all day is getting harder the older I get.

Kathy Marshall
10-12-2011, 3:11 AM
Now that is some great looking wood! That might last me a couple weeks (hence the need for cutting up free wood :eek: )! Can't wait to see some of that turned!

John Keeton
10-12-2011, 7:25 AM
I'm starting to wonder if buying wood might be the way to go. When you start adding up the costs of chainsaws, new chain, sharpening, gas, oil, time, bandsaws, bandsaw blades, and Advil, not to mention all the time it takes away from turning, it just might be the way to go. Besides, I'm getting old.Curt, you have capsulized my thoughts exactly! It depends largely on the type of turning one does. For folks like Kathy that turn vessels - by the thousands! - then it doesn't make sense. But, most all of what I turn requires dry, stable wood and wood that is figured and can be dyed. Cutting a truck load of green wood just doesn't make sense for my needs. I have several loads of half logs in the barn right now, and I may get to some of it in the future for a few bowls. Adding to that stash doesn't interest me.

But, having a wide selection of burls and figured wood from which to chose for a particular turning makes the monetary investment worthwhile for me. If I had more dead time on my hands I might feel differently. With our acreage, the chores that need to be done, and the size of our family, I am not sure my approaching retirement will add much to my available time!! Seems the more I cut back at work, the more my time is in demand elsewhere.

Doug W Swanson
10-12-2011, 8:30 AM
John,
That's a great looking haul!

Are you feeling OK? You seem to be slacking in the shop cleanup area!:eek:

Jeff Nicol
10-12-2011, 7:01 PM
John, I get the same yellow color on all the box elder I coat with anchor seal, it just turns that way with the wax. It will also turn that color with most finishes except maybe clear lacquer and water based poly.

Nice stuff and have fun with it, I have some BE that is full of little eyes that I have been turning and it is all white. I wish I would have taken the whole tree when I got the stuff I have, maybe some day I will get back down to get the rest. It is 150 miles round trip and can't afford the fuel too many times for that.

Jeff

brian watts
10-12-2011, 7:21 PM
very nice .if i had the money i would just buy the wood too..

Donny Lawson
10-13-2011, 6:54 AM
Nice haul John. Since you buy most of your wood, How is most of it sealed? If you might know. Anchorseal,Wax or something else?

Steve Schlumpf
10-13-2011, 7:58 AM
Beautiful wood for sure!! Looking forward to seeing what you create out of it - especially the spalted maple!! Have fun John!

John Keeton
10-13-2011, 8:09 AM
Nice haul John. Since you buy most of your wood, How is most of it sealed? If you might know. Anchorseal,Wax or something else?Donny, most of what I buy appears to be sealed with heavy wax, but this appears to be Anchorseal

Beautiful wood for sure!! Looking forward to seeing what you create out of it - especially the spalted maple!! Have fun John!Steve, the spalted maple is on the lathe now (gluing on a waste block with Titebond) and the sketch is about done! Hope to start on it this evening.

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-13-2011, 8:15 AM
A big part of the decision whether to cut or buy has to do with the size blanks I want. I turn a lot of "users". I enjoy finding ways to embellish them. If I wanted 18" blanks I am afraid the cost would be prohibitive. I bought a chunk of cherry from the auction site and the shipping cost three times the purchase price. By the way, it was lousy cherry. I won't do that again. But even "free" wood isn't free.
For you burl turners, I think buying from someone you like and trust is a great thing. You can get burl from everywhere and the pieces you make are outstanding. Like, Steve, I can't wait to see the final objects.
faust

Jon Prouty
10-13-2011, 1:52 PM
Donny, most of what I buy appears to be sealed with heavy wax, but this appears to be Anchorseal Steve, the spalted maple is on the lathe now (gluing on a waste block with Titebond) and the sketch is about done! Hope to start on it this evening.Any chance of work in progress pics? I would love to see them and I am sure others would as well.JP

John Keeton
10-13-2011, 2:27 PM
Jon, it has been a while since I posted a WIP on a turning. I will give this some thought - my shop time over the next few days will be spotty, but I will try to take some pics and see if I can start a thread on it.

Jon Prouty
10-13-2011, 3:08 PM
Jon, it has been a while since I posted a WIP on a turning. I will give this some thought - my shop time over the next few days will be spotty, but I will try to take some pics and see if I can start a thread on it.No pressure... but much appreciated if you do. Someday maybe we'll convince you to do a video too. :)