PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on splitting logs...

Primvs Aebvtivs
10-11-2011, 6:12 PM
I have in my garden a few branches and bits of trunk (from 8" up to 2' diameters by 1' to 5' long) from a Silver Birch that was involved in a fire during summer 2010. Can anyone tell me, roughly, how long these should be left for, before turning? I have already started on the smaller diameter branches, and they turn fine, I'm wondering if the larger (2' diameter) stuff *really* needs to be left for another summer before being dry enough to turn...

I have split a length that had already started to, and cast aside a shattered piece (I think the fire / tree-fellers did most of the work for me). It sounds solid when hit with a hammer, the shattered piece 'rattled' - signs of broken / shaky timbers etc - suitable only for the fire I think. Shouls I leave the trunks a bit longer, or should I try and split them now?

Any help and suggestions, gratefully received.

Tony De Masi
10-11-2011, 6:51 PM
Primvs, I prefer to leave the timers in log form and only cut them when I need a piece of it. Also, you will need to seal the ends of the fresh cut log to slow down the drying process too. That 2' diameter log you refer to will not be dry enough if left alone, by next summer. Too much water and not enough time for it to dry in the form.