PDA

View Full Version : Which drive center?

Jon McElwain
10-11-2011, 2:20 PM
I just gave away my last 4 prong drive center and all I have left is a Oneway safety drive. The Oneway is well made, but it has too little gripping ability for effective power transfer from the spindle to the turning. I suppose it would be okay for a spindle, but I can't remember the last time I turned a bonker. Anyway, my birthday is coming up and I would like to get some ideas on your favorite drive centers to pass on to my wife. I prefer a 4 prong, and have usually used 1" to 1-1/4". I see the Stebcenters, but I am not sure they would have enough resistance to spinning out in green wood with all the little teeth. I like to use a chisel or the band saw to create an "x" for the drive to recess into green wood blanks. I turn bowls from green wood and hollow forms, often from dry blanks.

Your 2 cents?

charlie knighton
10-11-2011, 2:40 PM
i use the one that comes with jet 1642, it grips fine
i start hf between centers usually

Jack Mincey
10-11-2011, 2:44 PM
I use this one as of late. It works great on bowls and large platters. It is a Oneway Big Bite.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/Big-Bite-Chuck-Spur-500px.png

Charles Bjorgen
10-11-2011, 2:52 PM
In addition to using the drive center furnished with my lathes, I also have a two-prong center that I like for positioning natural edged bowls in order to achieve a balance of the outer "wings" of the blank before I start cutting. By sighting over the tool rest you can generally line up blank for it's best position. I'll sometimes use a one-inch Forstner bit to bore a slight indentation for the drive center to help keep it in position. Just another option for you.

John Beaver
10-11-2011, 3:38 PM
I have the Stubby Drive Center and can't say enough good things about it. It's versatile and I've never had it slip.
It's not the cheapest solution, but I think it's well worth it.

Jerry Marcantel
10-11-2011, 4:23 PM
I just gave away my last 4 prong drive center and all I have left is a Oneway safety drive. The Oneway is well made, but it has too little gripping ability for effective power transfer from the spindle to the turning. I suppose it would be okay for a spindle, but I can't remember the last time I turned a bonker. Anyway, my birthday is coming up and I would like to get some ideas on your favorite drive centers to pass on to my wife. I prefer a 4 prong, and have usually used 1" to 1-1/4". I see the Stebcenters, but I am not sure they would have enough resistance to spinning out in green wood with all the little teeth. I like to use a chisel or the band saw to create an "x" for the drive to recess into green wood blanks. I turn bowls from green wood and hollow forms, often from dry blanks.

Your 2 cents?
John, why not build yourself a chuck plate. It certainly grips better than any of the spurs that are available. You could also deviate and make a chuck plate any size you want, or use as many screws as you would like. Go to "The Sawmill Creek Press" on the home page, and look for the article I wrote on building your own chuck plate. The one written about uses 13 screws with the outer ring of 8 screws on a 3 3/8" diameter, giving all the bite neccessary to keep your wood from spinning on the spur.
I've sent the chuck plates to several people here on SMC, and all using it gave positive reports.....
If you build your own, have your wife buy you something else because these things are so simple to make, even a wood turner could make one......... Jerry (in Tucson)........

Greg Just
10-11-2011, 4:27 PM
I have the Oneway and based on a suggestion from Alan Lacer, it was modified by grinding grooves into the ring around the center point and it gives it better gripping power. Worked well for me.

Jon McElwain
10-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks Fellas!

I have seen the Oneway big bite and other 2 prong spurs, I'll probably end up trying one of them. Although, the Stubby Drive center looks great - that just might be the ticket. Looks like it can be used as a 2 or 4 spur drive, so I would not need to buy one of each.

Jerry, I think I will build myself a chuck plate. I remember seeing your post a few months ago when you put it up.

Greg, that is an excellent idea about modifying the Oneway. I think that and a chuck plate will be next on the project list!

Thanks again!

Jon