PDA

View Full Version : A Day At Roy's!

Maurice Ungaro
10-11-2011, 11:31 AM
I had a great time down the road in Pittsboro this past Saturday. Took Roy Underhill's dovetail class at his school. He showed us some cool tips on how to lay out the tails (tails first, that's his method) that don't rely on dividers, fussy measurements, or the like. Also had to pore over the cool stuff for sale upstairs at the associated shop, where they sell only "experienced" hand tools. Of course, I just HAD to bring something home (small and large try squares, bevel gauge and the cutest little Stanley plane - a 101). The large try square has a very cool brass fin that supports the body of the square on your work, so it doesn't flop the blade over when you take your hand off of it (on top of that, the lift fin unscrews if you need to remove it). The small square is made with ebony, and well, I needed one anyway.....
The little 101 was a bargain at $10, especially since it's cutter is already razor sharp, and cuts beautifully. Even St. Roy was charmed as heck by it - he had to have a go with it and was mighty smitten.

I can say that my move from the S.C. Lowcountry to Raleigh is certainly opening up woodworking opportunities for me. I can see myself heading to Pittsboro regularly!

Steve Branam
10-11-2011, 5:38 PM
I'm jealous! I'd love to take a class from Roy. One of these days...

Chris Griggs
10-11-2011, 5:43 PM
Oh what fun! I'd love to make it out there someday - I've heard legends of the store upstairs. Any super cool things up there that you didn't end up bringing home?

andrew messimer
10-11-2011, 6:31 PM
Roy is great. I got to take a class there this summer with Chris Schwarz. It was a great time to say the least. I hope I can get back down there next year. I had a hard time staying focused. So much stuff in the class to look at, not to mention upstairs.

Maurice Ungaro
10-11-2011, 6:40 PM
The store upstairs is a wonderful place to visit all on it's own. Ed Lebetkin runs it and is extremely knowledgeable. The wonderful thing about the merchandise is that it,s all pretty affordable. I saw a classmate pick up a near complete boxed set of smaller to medium brace bits for $80. He had a whole crate full of pig sticker mortice chisels, and that's just the everyday stuff. He's only open when there is a class going on, but that only means that people aren't snatching up the good stuff during the weekdays!

Jason Coen
10-11-2011, 6:44 PM
It's both a blessing and a curse to be within 15 minutes of the store.

Michael Peet
10-11-2011, 7:06 PM
Steve echoed my thoughts exactly!

Mike

Maurice Ungaro
10-11-2011, 7:07 PM
It's both a blessing and a curse to be within 15 minutes of the store.Jason, my wife has given me permission to go back......but we haven't discussed the frequency of my visits yet......BTW, where in Cary are you located?

Jason Coen
10-11-2011, 7:14 PM
Jason, my wife has given me permission to go back......but we haven't discussed the frequency of my visits yet......BTW, where in Cary are you located?

I'm actually in Chatham County (but still in the Cary city limits), kind of close to where 55 and 540 come together. I take 751 down to 64, and am in Pittsboro in no time at all.

Maurice Ungaro
10-11-2011, 7:29 PM
I'm actually in Chatham County (but still in the Cary city limits), kind of close to where 55 and 540 come together. I take 751 down to 64, and am in Pittsboro in no time at all.
OK, I'm off Davis Drive, about 2 miles from Apex.

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
10-11-2011, 8:42 PM
You folks ever get on to ncwoodworker.net? There is a good crowd on that forum from apex / Cary.

Peter Pedisich
10-11-2011, 8:57 PM
I wish I lived in North Carolina. Thanks for sharing!

Jason Coen
10-11-2011, 9:50 PM
I wish I lived in North Carolina. Thanks for sharing!

Come on down! You'll feel right at home in Cary! :-)

But seriously, if y'all ever get a chance to take a class with Roy - DO IT. And if you have to pick just one, I highly recommend his benchwork week class.

Jason Coen
10-11-2011, 9:57 PM
And Maurice - Roy has the actual passer drill and template that was used to inlay the brass in that ebony try square. He may also have the template for the large one, but about that one I'm not certain.

Bryan Schwerer
10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I actually took the saw sharpening class on Sunday. Great class. I'm surprised how may Cary'ites are on here.

Maurice Ungaro
10-12-2011, 1:33 PM
Bryan and Jason:Either of you hooked up with the Triangle Woodworker's Association that meets at Klingspor's? Chris Gochnour is speaking there this month on the 28th.

Pinwu Xu
10-12-2011, 8:20 PM
Come on down! You'll feel right at home in Cary! :-)

But seriously, if y'all ever get a chance to take a class with Roy - DO IT. And if you have to pick just one, I highly recommend his benchwork week class.

Roy went to the local "Triangle WW group" meeting several years ago, gave good demo and talk. It won't compare to a class, obviously.
I was at the school couple of weeks ago, there was no class, but several were there building a bench for the Thomas Day house, Roy included. I went
in, watched them marking the line, cutting the old wood, etc. Roy offered to let me "go upstairs" even if the shop person is not present, but I thought
I'd come back later. From what you described, I do need to check it out.

Regards

Pinwu

Scott T Smith
10-13-2011, 6:40 AM
You folks ever get on to ncwoodworker.net? There is a good crowd on that forum from apex / Cary.

Ditto Bruno's comment - we have quite a few members in the Apex / Cary area.

Maurice Ungaro
10-13-2011, 7:40 AM
Scott, I'm signed up and visit often.

Jason Coen
10-13-2011, 9:11 AM
Ditto Bruno's comment - we have quite a few members in the Apex / Cary area.

I'll have to check that out.

Bryan Schwerer
10-13-2011, 10:21 AM
OK, I'm off Davis Drive, about 2 miles from Apex.

I'm off of HW 55 just below HighHouse

Bill White
10-13-2011, 2:12 PM
You weren't with Underhill. That guy was NOT wearin' suspenders and a funky snap brim. Nice try though.
You lucky dog! He's a great representative for the woodworking trade/hobby.
Bill

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
10-13-2011, 4:20 PM
Ditto Bruno's comment - we have quite a few members in the Apex / Cary area.I should have mentioned it in the first place but I am in Apex as well.

Scott T Smith
10-13-2011, 6:53 PM
Scott, I'm signed up and visit often.

Maurice, if I recall you just moved up here from someplace in SC?

Mike Henderson
10-13-2011, 8:16 PM
Sounds like a great class. What did he show you about dovetail layout that didn't require dividers or fussy measurements? In other words, how did he do the layout?

Mike

Maurice Ungaro
10-13-2011, 9:18 PM

Scott - Yup, I just moved from the South Carolina Lowcountry (Beaufort, S.C.)

Mike - The key elements are that the pins should be 1/2 the thickness of the board (3/4" board, 3/8" pins). First step is to lay out the half pin base line on the tail board. Next, divide the space in-between the half pin base lines into an visually appropriate number (for our example, it was 3). This means that you need to place two tick marks between the two half pin base lines, which is easily done by using a ruler as a sector marking gauge, and dividing the space numerically. Take those tick marks and extend them down to the end of the board. With a 3/8" chisel, mark the base line with the chisel equally on both sides of the extended tick mark line. Now use your bevel gauge to establish the slope of your tails. Transfer to the pin board using your dovetail saw. Go ahead and darken the saw marks on the pin board with your pencil. When cutting the pins, make sure to cut JUST to the waste side of the line - as Roy says, cut TO the line, but LEAVE the line. Should fit with minimal fuss.

Roy's theory is that dovetails should be bold. Hope this image helps some with my explanation.