PDA

View Full Version : Some things I don't understand

Rich Engelhardt
10-11-2011, 10:04 AM
- The Kardashians. Who are these people & why are they on my (pay to watch) TV?
How can I make them go away?

- Body piercings. I've had a splinter before & it hurts like the devil. Why do people actually pay money to have a piece of metal stuck through their body?

- Large tatoos. Tattoos on the face and neck. Tatoos on "sensitive" areas of the body? If I took an electric needle and jabbed someone w/it, I'd be arrested for A&B....but...people pay big bucks and go through hours of pain getting jabbed?

- TV show about people being tatooed. About the only thing I can think of that would be worse than getting one is watching someone,,,who I have no clue who they are & don't want to know anyhow -- get one! No, I take that back,,,,watching is far worse than getting one, even though I don't have one & probably never will..

- Knowing that out there somewhere - there are people buying all the junk sold on infomercials.....

- Why Dish TV believes hours and hours and hours of "Paid Programming" is worth a fraction of wht I pay them for my subscription?

- Why a couple of guys going from garage sale to garage sale is in any way shape or form history? I admit, it's a catchy show at times - but -it isn't history.

- Why a pawn shop is history?

- Why railroads got rid of the caboose?

Bill Edwards(2)
10-11-2011, 11:52 AM
The Kardashians. Who are these people & why are they on my (pay to watch) TV?
They say we need rats and roachs.
You can't... see above.

- Body piercings. I've had a splinter before & it hurts like the devil. Why do people actually pay money to have a piece of metal stuck through their body?
I think most of us go through a period of "anxt" as teenagers, some never out grow the need.

- Large tatoos. Tattoos on the face and neck. Tatoos on "sensitive" areas of the body? If I took an electric needle and jabbed someone w/it, I'd be arrested for A&B....but...people pay big bucks and go through hours of pain getting jabbed?
I think people do it to be unique. (some one stop me)

- TV show about people being tatooed. About the only thing I can think of that would be worse than getting one is watching someone,,,who I have no clue who they are & don't want to know anyhow -- get one! No, I take that back,,,,watching is far worse than getting one, even though I don't have one & probably never will..
But how would people know how to be unique? (I told you to stop me)

- Knowing that out there somewhere - there are people buying all the junk sold on infomercials.....
And just how do you know this?:D

- Why Dish TV believes hours and hours and hours of "Paid Programming" is worth a fraction of wht I pay them for my subscription?
Because they have their finger on the pulse of America. (gag)

- Why a couple of guys going from garage sale to garage sale is in any way shape or form history? I admit, it's a catchy show at times - but -it isn't history.
But you're wishing it was history.

Because it's all OLD junk?

To be politically correct.

Montgomery Scott
10-11-2011, 2:40 PM
Are these the most important questions you can find to occupy your mind?

Al Wasser
10-11-2011, 3:11 PM
Things are on TV cuz someone watches the stuff. If no one watched it the show would go away cuz they can't see any advertising for something no one watches. When I was young there was only ABC, NBC, PBS and CBS. I guess those outfits are not providing what people want.

Belinda Barfield
10-11-2011, 3:12 PM
A group of kids with a really smart mom who thought it would be a great idea for everyone to see how her family lives. Other than that, I have no idea but they are on almost every magazine cover at the supermarket.

I have pierced ears because when I was 13 everyone had pierced ears, and I enjoy wearing earrings. As for body piercings, don't have a clue.

I don't know, maybe oneupmanship? My ink is bigger/better than your ink? I'm still stuck on my dog's better cause he eats Kennel Ration.

See previous answer. There has to be a venue to show of one's new ink. Don't try the jabbing thing, the jail time ain't worth it.

I am living proof. Made the mistake last week while at Walgreen's which has a whole aisle of "as seen on TV". I just had to have one of those new stay cool wire colanders that work like a wonder on t.v. Just cook and lift from the pot to drain. Note to self, penne pasta falls through the mesh because the holes are too big to retain pasta. Works the same for macaroni etc. :rolleyes: You could probably wash apples in it, but I haven't tried.

Same reason Comcast does.

Because we are running out of history? Perhaps there is a shortage of history available that is acceptable to the masses. Let's face it, once you PC history to death there isn't much to report.

See answer above.

Did they? I haven't noticed it around here. I'll ask my railroad engineer friend next time I see him. This is troubling.

Thanks for asking these thought provoking questions.

Belinda Barfield
10-11-2011, 3:17 PM
Are these the most important questions you can find to occupy your mind?

These are the kind of questions that flutter around while I'm trying to concentrate on the important questions. Like when I'm asking myself if I want to paint my nails Hoochie Mama Red or Hot Lips Pink, suddenly I'm wondering why Star Trek was ever canceled in the first place.

Jim Koepke
10-11-2011, 4:27 PM

What is so great about women shopping for a wedding dress?

Some of those people are spending more on a wedding dress than others make in a year of hard labor. If it guaranteed a long wedding then maybe, but I would bet the more expense on the wedding day the less real feeling about the spouse and the more likely a divorce.

As for the Kardashians, go xray your derriere and see if you get famous.

Do what I do, limit your time in front of the TV.

Railroads got rid of the caboose to cut down the number of people needed to move a train.

Tattoos became popular among seafarers who did not want to be washed up on a shore with no way to be identified. I think others just want to display themselves.

jtk

Jay Jolliffe
10-11-2011, 5:21 PM
How about the show that showed what some parents go through for a birthday & the amount of money that gets spent on the spoiled brats. I saw one episode that the parents bought their daughter a new Porsche probably spent 50k or more for it & she wined about the color, her friend had the same color....and the party cost 10 to 15k with out the car. Another world....

Curt Fuller
10-11-2011, 5:56 PM
These are the kind of questions that flutter around while I'm trying to concentrate on the important questions. Like when I'm asking myself if I want to paint my nails Hoochie Mama Red or Hot Lips Pink, suddenly I'm wondering why Star Trek was ever canceled in the first place.

Why was it canceled anyway?

I wonder about these kinds of crazy things myself. Then one day I realized that it was just me getting older. This quote kind of sums it up...

"Do not compel your children to imitate your personality, for they are created for a time other than your time"
Iman Ali

Larry Frank
10-11-2011, 8:08 PM
I am certain that there are some people asking why anyone would watch someone making sawdust.

There are a lot of shows that I do not like and there are shows that I like which I am certain someone is asking why anyone would watch it. One of those people asking why I would watch it is my wife. To the victor goes the remote!

Caspar Hauser
10-11-2011, 8:50 PM
Y'know, I just renewed my library card and am presently taking a leisurely stroll through the plant rooms with Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin then where ever serendipity leads.

It's a Celebrity Extreme Gun Celebrity Chopper Frock Celebrity Vacuous Celebrity Extreme Pablum Bootcamp Survivor Celebrity Makeover free zone.

The Cardassians are in the Science Fiction section.

Hoochie Mama Red every time.

Rick Potter
10-11-2011, 9:18 PM
I am staying an arms length from all except the last of the questions.......the caboose.

The bar codes like at the supermarket were first introduced by the railroads, as a way to keep track of various shipments. When they were deemed accurate, there was no longer any need for the caboose, or the guy in it who previously kept track of shifting cars from train to train. In a way, yes, you could say it was solely to save money, but it did increase productivity a lot too.

That's what I read years ago, and I'm sticking to it.

Rick Potter

steven c newman
10-12-2011, 10:39 AM
There are still three people on the train: The engineer, a "brakeman", and a "Conductor" who keeps all the TRAIN ORDERS sorted out. The conductor USED to ride in the caboose, now he/she rides in the second engine. The caboose did not make any money for the railroads, it was just a way to move employees around. Plus the up-keep to keep the caboose in working order. when costs had to be cut, the crummy got the axe.

Gene Howe
10-12-2011, 12:54 PM
The questions Rich asks serve to highlight the absurdity of the subjects. Precisely why my not knowing the answers does not trouble me.

Joe Angrisani
10-12-2011, 1:01 PM
The solution is easy, Rich. Burn your TV. Before it sucks the brain out of you as well.

Jim Koepke
10-12-2011, 1:24 PM
The questions Rich asks serve to highlight the absurdity of the subjects.

Questions like:

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

When does it stop being partly cloudy and start being partly sunny?

How can something be "new" and "improved"? if it's new, what was it improving on?

and so on…

jtk

Jim Rimmer
10-12-2011, 1:26 PM
Hoochie Mama Red every time.

+1 for Hoochie Mama Red. I don't know what color that is but it really sounds good. :D

Rich Engelhardt
10-12-2011, 6:27 PM
Like when I'm asking myself if I want to paint my nails Hoochie Mama Red or Hot Lips Pink
Yep - for sure Hoochie Mama Red!
Only a Southern Lady can go from barefoot creek wading, to Hoochi Mama Red to an evening gown - all in one day ;).

Belinda Barfield
10-13-2011, 9:42 AM
+1 for Hoochie Mama Red. I don't know what color that is but it really sounds good. :D

Who knew there were so many fans of Hoochie Mama Red?! It only works when one is wearing Hoochie Mama shoes . . . and yes, my shoes have been called that.

Yep - for sure Hoochie Mama Red!
Only a Southern Lady can go from barefoot creek wading, to Hoochi Mama Red to an evening gown - all in one day ;).

LOL . . . I have so done this, Rich, except you left out the afternooon mud boggin'. :D

george wilson
10-14-2011, 9:43 PM
The caboose was eliminated because they needed all of them to make little motels where you can pay to spend the night in a caboose!! A sparse,bleak,uninteresting old caboose. I'd prefer seeing them on trains as they look better on the OUTSIDE!:)

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2011, 6:54 PM
Do what I do, limit your time in front of the TV.

Hate to go for one-upmanship, but I don't even have TV. I watch the occasional DVD and that's it. Too busy with "life"

Chris Kennedy
10-19-2011, 8:37 PM

There was an episode of 30 Rock where as an aside they were introducing voice-controlled TV. Alec Baldwin's character was showing it off, but once he was done and they were having a "real conversation" in terms of the actual plot, he was told bad news, and he said "crap" in response. The television in the background switched to the Kardashians.

Still makes me laugh.

For the most part, I'm with you.

Cheers,

Chris