PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 60 1/2 blovk plane question

Jerome Hanby
10-11-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm refurbing an old 60 1/2 block plane. The soak in Evapo-rust did a great job. A 'creeker in the general woodworking forum gave me a great tip (well great if it works, but I have no reason to doubt it) for removing the remnants of the old Japanning. I've got the ingredients and instructions for making the Japanning and baking it on. It looks like the lever cap was originally Japanned all over all over. It also appears that the locking lever swivels on a "rivet". Is there a good method for removing that lever and putting it back after I get the lever cap refinished?

Just a quick note, this plane is for my own use and I have no interest in preserving any "collect-ability". I just want it to look and feel nice to me (and of course work great).

Thanks!

Jim Koepke
10-11-2011, 2:29 PM
Jerome,

I have never thought about removing this rivet.

I think over time the rivet has changed.

From looking at pictures, it looks like a bit of grinding may be needed to remove the lever and rivet.

I looked at pictures at Supertool.com and some here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?123401-Fettle-to-the-Metal-With-LA-Blocks&p=1246005

It also looks like when your plane was made may have a lot of influence on how much work will be needed.

It looks like there were a lot of changes over the years.

You may find it easier to rejapan in place.

jtk

Jerome Hanby
10-11-2011, 3:13 PM
You may be right. Perhaps I can use it's presence to my advantage and rig up some way to support the lever cap with it while baking...

Kevin Grady
10-11-2011, 4:23 PM
"A 'creeker in the general woodworking forum gave me a great tip (well great if it works, but I have no reason to doubt it) for removing the remnants of the old Japanning."

Would you mind sharing that tip or posting a link to the thread? I'm about to rehab a couple of good users and will be stripping them down (the original jappanning is shot).

Thanks,
Kevin

Nevermind, found the thread. Thanks