PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Win: Think I did pretty well!

Chris Griggs
10-11-2011, 8:19 AM
I've pretty much avoided fleabay since I got into hand tools, but I've been "needing" a No. 8 sized plane as of late, so I've been watching a few on the bay. Last night I bid on an won a Sargent VBM 424 for a really nice price (search 190584158544). Had looked the pics/description over hard for several days before bidding and I had my buddy Archie look them over too before I bid - looks to be in great shape with all original parts. Think I've got a really nice plane on the way. Super excited to get it - hopefully the tuning will be minimal, but even it's not I don't mind trouble shooting a plane and at this point am pretty decent at diagnosing the issues. All that really matters is that (fingers crossed) it will turn out to be as nice to use as it looks. I think I'll finally be able to stop dreaming of the LN no. 8 and can finally stop bugging Rob Lee to make a No. 8

Obviously this is a bit premature since I don't even have the plane yet but... How'd I do? Think it'll turn out to be a good one? I know that VBMs are supposedly really good planes, but if there are any Sargent experts out there, feel free to fill me in on any details of what's coming my way.

David Weaver
10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
It looks like a nice plane, I've only ever had one, and I don't know what happened to it. I either took it apart or sold it, i can't remember.

You know what they say - the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Hopefully it's flat and has a really clean mouth and tight accurate parts.

Can definitely be a bit difficult to find an 8 on a whim in the $50 range without compromises, though. The Fine Tool Journal Newsletter tool sale this last time around had (what looked like) a T11 #4 1/2 for $50 and another stanley #8 for $50, but those don't come around too often and you never know what'll be in those sales. Other than FTJ, i've never seen anyone who regularly sells planes that cheap.

But if you're needing good user planes from a very reputable and honest place, and you can wait, signing up to get the FTJ email alert for a newsletter tool sale is a good way to go. I just never mention that they're up (the newsletter tool sales) when they are because I figure that they'll be moderated off this board or put in the deals and discounts forum. Most of the good stuff is usually gone from them in the first few hours, anyway.

Chris Griggs
10-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah No. 8s seem tough to find at a reasonable price - Walt Q, Sanford M, and Joshua Clark rarely list them, and that's where I typically look for users since they have good reputations and good prices - I suppose if I had bothered to call them any one of those guys could dig up a good user at a decent price, but even then I feel like most good 8s I see go for over $100-$150. A couple months ago a VBM 424 was listed in the classifieds here and went for $125 (which seemed like a quite good deal)), so when I saw this one on the bay I took notice and jumped on it. Most 8's (Stanley, Union, Keen Kutter, or the otherwise) I see on ebay, on Leach's newsletter, and from other dealers typically approach prices where I'd just assume buy a new LV BU Jointer or Clifton/LN no 7. Anyway, what I really wanted was a standard bevel down No. 8 (or equivalent) so I'm pretty happy I won this one - hopefully I'll still be happy when I get it - the proof is in the eating indeed.

Thanks for the FTJ tip - I'll need to sign up for that alert - good stuff from all the well known dealers does indeed go quite fast.

David Weaver
10-11-2011, 1:13 PM
One of the tool dealers long ago (not one you mentioned) put me on to the FTJ newsletter tool sales. He mentioned that Clarence's prices were low enough that dealers would buy tools from him and resell them. Prices will be high on things that are rare and have collector value, suitably so, so if something is expensive there I generally ignore it as a user and look elsehwere.

Otherwise, in my opinion, dealers usually want too much for 8s and bedrocks, maybe because it's nice to have a few listed and since it's a thing where you find 1 of them for 10 of everything else, it doesn't matter if they turn over slower.

Jim Koepke
10-11-2011, 1:37 PM
Chris,

Looks like a good plane.

Sargents just don't drive the bids like a Stanley will.

Some folks prefer Sargent planes over the Stanley planes.

Post again to let us know how it is when it arrives.

jtk

Andrae Covington
10-11-2011, 2:19 PM
I've pretty much avoided fleabay since I got into hand tools, but I've been "needing" a No. 8 sized plane as of late, so I've been watching a few on the bay. Last night I bid on an won a Sargent VBM 424 for a really nice price (search 190584158544)...

I considered bidding on that plane, lucky for you I'm too much of a cheapskate.:D With what they usually go for, the Stanleys at least, I think you got a good deal. I've been wanting a #8 for a while but so far have resisted "needing" one. I've never used any Sargent planes but it looks like a solid user in the photos.

Chris Griggs
10-11-2011, 2:33 PM
I considered bidding on that plane, lucky for you I'm too much of a cheapskate.:D With what they usually go for, the Stanleys at least, I think you got a good deal. I've been wanting a #8 for a while but so far have resisted "needing" one. I've never used any Sargent planes but it looks like a solid user in the photos.

Glad you left it for me! I REALLY wanted it.

Before I bid I decided that the most I would spend on the plane was $80 including shipping. Shipping was preset at $22.20 so $80 - $22.20 = the $57.80 I entered as my max bid, which is what I just barely got it for. I've used a friend's Sargent smoother that is very very nice, but like all old planes, the quality to some extent has to do with the individual plane. I think I mentioned on another thread a few weeks ago that I have a vintage Footprint that performs at or above the level of most vintage Stanley's I've used. Good makers sometimes popped out bad tools and not so good makers sometimes popped out really nice tools. That said, from what I've heard about Sargents, and the VBMS in particular, I fully anticipate that if nothing else this plane has good bones, and has the potential to become an excelllent user - that is unless there is something really out of whack with it.

I will definitely report back when I get it. Maybe I'll do one of those "out of the box" videos that folks sometimes do when they get premium planes ;) That be kinda funny to do with a vintage plane...

Jim Koepke
10-11-2011, 4:36 PM
I will definitely report back when I get it. Maybe I'll do one of those "out of the box" videos that folks sometimes do when they get premium planes That be kinda funny to do with a vintage plane...

You might be amazed at how well it works as is.

jtk

Chris Griggs
10-11-2011, 5:33 PM
You might be amazed at how well it works as is.

jtk

Here's hoping!

I will be amazed if the blade is in usable condition as is when I get it, but once I get the blade honed up I woudn't be surprised if the plane requires little to no additional work. I haven't rehabbed a ton of planes, but in my experience it isn't unusual for the blade to be the only thing that needs major work. My friend Archie E who posts here sometimes has a garage full (and I do mean full) of old planes he's acquired over the years. In addition to a lot of great users he has a number he hasn't gotten around to tuning so usually when I go over to his shop he'll pull out some old plane that hasn't seen use in years, and we'll get it working. Even on fairly ragged looking frankinplanes sometimes all that's needed is some good work on the blade (and possibly chipbreaker) to get the thing singing. There's the occasional plane that we just can't seem to get working, but for the most part I'm regularly amazed at how little work is required to get those old tools working. Now I won't even think about bothering to do any work on the plane itself until after I give it a try with a freshly honed blade.

Jim Koepke
10-11-2011, 5:40 PM
Now I won't even think about bothering to do any work on the plane itself until after I give it a try with a freshly honed blade.

That is my suggestion. Surely many people spend a lot of time fixing a plane that has no indication of needing work.

A lot of old timers seemed to think that grinding the blade on a bench grinder was all that was needed to sharpen a blade.

Though I have bough a few used planes that came with well honed blades and worked quite well right out of the box.

jtk

Joshua Clark
10-11-2011, 8:13 PM
The Sargent bench planes are great users in my experience. They might not have all the bells and whistles of the Stanley planes but they are high quality planes and work well. The Early Sargents are among the best- these feature the beaded front knob and the VBM embossed lever cap. If you are interested, the logo on the iron will help narrow down when it was made. I think you paid a fair price for yours- not a steal but you certainly did not over-pay. The tote is cracked in a couple of places but as long as the repairs are solid it doesn't matter. The blade is the key- if it's in good shape you should be good to go.

I hope it arrives safe and serves you well!

-Josh

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-11-2011, 9:12 PM
good luck! I've never used a plane like that, but I've handled a few similar model Sargent's at an antique store, and was impressed. I've been trying to resist getting more bench planes right now, as I have more tools than storage space as it is, but flattening my bench top, I finally feel like I found a use for an 8 over a 7!

I lucked out on my MF 22 (#7 size) although I feel kind of guilty - I got it for a good, low price, but the kicker was that the seller ate it on shipping. It came in a *huge* box (must have been the only thing he had it would fit in) and I know he payed a lot more for shipping than he ultimately charged me for. I've been on the other end of that kind of thing, and it stung, and I would have payed more for shipping had he asked, but I wasn't going to offer it. Still feel a little guilty though. Have to take into consideration shipping charges when I see large planes locally - the price might seem higher,b ut it's often cheaper when you figure what you'd pay to have it shipped to you.

I've given up on cleaning my planes much more than is needed to get them functional and to keep them from making other things dirty. . . .

Chris Griggs
10-11-2011, 9:48 PM
Joshua Pierce, I've used a few MFs too and really like them - I would love to find an MF 24, but don't think I've ever actually seen one for sale and if I did I have no idea what it would cost. MF planes seem to have a cult following - the prices I've seen for them are all over the board. They seem to have made some excellent planes, so good for you for getting a good price on a 22, I'm sure it's an excellent plane.

Joshua Clark, I'll post or send you some pics of the iron and plane when I get it. Would love to know more about it! Not sure how close you looked at the pics, it does have the beaded knob and slightly more shapely tote, which I was aware meant it was probably a legit early Sargent. The seller said the iron says"SARGENT No.VBM 424 NEW HAVEN CONN. USA." Am definitely interested to learn as much about it as possible.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Charlie Smith
10-12-2011, 5:08 PM
I saw that plane as well. If it is a VBM, it was produced before 1918 or so. That's when they stopped making them. Also, the depth adjustment goes the opposite way of the Stanleys.

I "stole" a number 4 sized Sargent VBM in mint condition a few years ago for $8 at an antique store. It is by far my favorite plane (even though the depth adjustment bugs me). I also have a MF 22. It is my second favorite.

Chris Griggs
10-12-2011, 6:42 PM
I saw that plane as well. If it is a VBM, it was produced before 1918 or so. That's when they stopped making them. Also, the depth adjustment goes the opposite way of the Stanleys.

I "stole" a number 4 sized Sargent VBM in mint condition a few years ago for $8 at an antique store. It is by far my favorite plane (even though the depth adjustment bugs me). I also have a MF 22. It is my second favorite.

Yeah, that aspect annoyed me when I used my buddy's Sargents - I'm sure even once I get used to it I will occasionally decrease the depth when I want to increase it - particularly since on every other plane I own I'm in the habit of just flicking the depth wheel with my right pointer finger when I want to increase the cut. Its a miniscule nuisance though if the plane performs well.

If it really throws me off maybe I'll just have to get rid of all my other planes and replace them all with old Sargents so that all the wheels will turn the same direction;)

Tom Vanzant
10-12-2011, 9:45 PM
I won a North Bros.-made Yankee 2101-A Bell System 8" brace on EB** that shipped yesterday.... It cost $12.50... the postage is more. Per the pix and emails. only a light smattering of rust on the chuck knurling and everything works smoothly. Can't wait to lay hands on it.