PDA

View Full Version : any ideas on "cleaning" salvage wood

david a graham
10-10-2011, 10:18 PM
I acquired a 1" x 24" x 5' oak board out of a building that was being torn down. Does anyone have any ideas on cleaning it up without resorting to 80 grit.... I would like to avoid totally loosing the charter as the building was close to 200 years old.

Thanks

Gary Breckenridge
10-11-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm not sure if it is fininshed or rough. Some ideas are a wire brush, Pinesol, turpentine, soap and water. I'd figure out how I want to use the wood and then go from there. If it has a smoke, greasy or oily coating get this off first. Test a small section of the backside first. Good luck.

jeff vanek
10-11-2011, 9:51 AM
Pressure wash it

david a graham
10-11-2011, 7:39 PM
Thanks for great suggestions - to provide more info it is a rough board for the most part it has no finish (~10" on one side has some white paint) it came for an outbuilding most likely has several nails and checks in it but seems very solid. I was leaning toward a scrub brush with soap and water. I haven't pulled the nails yet and it seems to be flat so I want to use it for a table top. I think the checks, nail holes sawmill marks , would add some real warmth.209893