PDA

View Full Version : Bell

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2011, 5:52 PM
Well my grandson and granddaughter saw Curt Fullers bell and thought they would like to have one. So found some scrap cherry and a scrap piece of 1/8" purple heart. I commenced to follow Curts instructions here is the bell the evolved. Not as good as Curt's but I am satisfied with it. I have a half dozen more glued up and will pick the best for them. It is sanded to 320 grit and finished with 7 light coats of GF Woodturners finish. It took about 45 minutes to apply the 7 coats. I cheated and used a hair dryer which each coat took about 5 minutes or so applied with a piece of old T-shirt. Turned this morning and finished by lunch.

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2011, 6:15 PM
Bernie - that looks pretty cool! Your grandkids are going to love them!!

John Keeton
10-10-2011, 6:45 PM
Bernie, I really want to try this technique! I think you did very well. While the plywood is a unique look, there are countless possibilities with this.

Roger Chandler
10-10-2011, 6:53 PM
I like this one as well............I have been thinking about giving this design a go........maybe a glue up with maple and walnut.

Ron Bontz
10-10-2011, 7:17 PM
Nice. Just gonna have to try that this winter.

Jim Burr
10-10-2011, 7:27 PM
Bernie...you're such a ding dong!!:D;) I couldn't resist!! You adapted the style well for this...any plans for ornaments? Nice work on the finish!

Allan Ferguson
10-10-2011, 8:39 PM
Pretty pretty. Challenging glue up. They will just get better. Have fun.

charlie knighton
10-10-2011, 8:41 PM
lucky grandson and granddaughter, well done nice piece

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2011, 9:22 PM
Thanks to all. Yes it was kind of a challenge to glue up after cutting. Don't have a accurate sled or anything like that just a C-man Sliding mitre saw and a 4" belt sander. I have a couple of walnut with plywood and cherry with redheart and bocate. So tomorrow we will see how those come out.

Jim I have a piece glued up tonight that will probably be a ornament or a tea light holder. I want to try a ornament but the wife wants the other. Wonder who will win this one.:eek::rolleyes:

Curt Fuller
10-10-2011, 11:19 PM
That looks great Bernie! I'm playing around with some more too. I can see this lamination and segmentation is going to turn into another one of those danged vortex, wallet draining, sort of things. Just bought me a thickness planer to try and improve on the accuracy of my glue ups. Then I found a used copy of Malcolm Tibbets book. I can see a whole string of " just one more tool" things in his book.

Michelle Rich
10-11-2011, 6:16 AM
ring, ding, ding!!! hope your grandkids enjoy!

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks again. Yep Curt I have been looking at those 12" disc sanders and all kinds of different jigs to work on the joints. These last few I have glued up I ran the 3/4" stock through my joniter for a better glue up surface for the piece that is sandwiched inbetween before cutting it into parts. That did work rather well and the glue joints on these are tight. I have a Delta planer that I haven't used since I started turning so may have to drag that out to. Sheeessh I can see another black hole.

Scott Hackler
10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Very nice Bernie. Looks like you were paying attension in Curt's thread!

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2011, 1:07 PM
Thanks Scott. I have always been a fan of Curts turnings and these bells are no exception.