PDA

View Full Version : LN Hand Tool Event, Oxford PA (Hearne Hardwoods) - Oct 14-15

Augusto Orosco
10-10-2011, 5:14 PM
Anyone going to the LN Hand Tool Event this weekend? I think I will be there on Saturday to drool over the tools and thin my wallet. There's a No7 with my name on it...

john davey
10-11-2011, 10:12 AM
I am planning on going Saturday morning some time. Not sure what time yet though. I actually need some boards for my bench build so this is perfect timing as they are a little over an hours drive for me...John

Trevor Walsh
10-12-2011, 8:26 AM
I'm hoping to go Saturday morning for some drool time, perhaps order a new 81 razor shave.

Prashun Patel
10-12-2011, 8:55 AM
When yr there, see if they'll give you a tour of the drying yard. They have a stack of 110" crotch walnut that'll make you drool.

Augusto Orosco
10-12-2011, 5:46 PM
Do you guys know of any other woodworking places to check out while in the area? I think there's a Woodcraft on Downingtown, but I was thinking more along the lines of vintage tools ...

john davey
10-17-2011, 1:51 PM
Well I made the trip up and was happy I did. Hearne Hardwoods is a pretty amazing place to visit. Put LN there and it was more than I could ask for. It was great to put my hands on all of the tools that until now I have just read about. This is the exact same experience I had last year at a show LV was at. My only regret was that Hearne was out of 8/4 hard maple which I was hoping to pick up for my bench build. Oh well that gives me a reason to go back :). They have all of their lumber in racks 3 stories high. It is a little tricky on the upper levels to pick through the pile. They also have a room in the rear with shorts and offcuts. Since I did not get the maple I wanted and I did not want to leave empty handed I grabbed a cutoff of Jatoba. Wow is this stuff dense. Daed toolworks was there as well. Just friggin' art is all I can say about them. I can't afford them but they were just amazing. I wonder who his market is cause I just can't seem to find a way to buy a LN #8 let alone what those things cost??? THe #8 was amazing to hold as well though :)

Augusto Orosco
10-17-2011, 2:16 PM
Well I made the trip up and was happy I did. Hearne Hardwoods is a pretty amazing place to visit. Put LN there and it was more than I could ask for. It was great to put my hands on all of the tools that until now I have just read about. This is the exact same experience I had last year at a show LV was at. My only regret was that Hearne was out of 8/4 hard maple which I was hoping to pick up for my bench build. Oh well that gives me a reason to go back :). They have all of their lumber in racks 3 stories high. It is a little tricky on the upper levels to pick through the pile. They also have a room in the rear with shorts and offcuts. Since I did not get the maple I wanted and I did not want to leave empty handed I grabbed a cutoff of Jatoba. Wow is this stuff dense. Daed toolworks was there as well. Just friggin' art is all I can say about them. I can't afford them but they were just amazing. I wonder who his market is cause I just can't seem to find a way to buy a LN #8 let alone what those things cost??? THe #8 was amazing to hold as well though :)

It was indeed a great event, John. And I agree that the #8 was amazing to hold and try! Did you make it to Hearne's demonstration of cutting a Koa tree? I filmed the whole thing and posted the video and some pictures in the General Woodworking forum:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174153-Hearne-Hardwoods-Processing-a-Koa-Tree-(During-LN-Hand-Tool-Event)

Trevor Walsh
10-17-2011, 2:24 PM
I agree amazing place, I made the trip to get lumber for a bed (at Groff and Groff) as well as to talk with Raney (Daed Toolworks) about his kumiko screens and a plane that I'm saving pennies for. I'm thrilled with his work and am excited to own one.

Larry Williams DVD on planemaking also found it's way home with me as well as some small chunks of Port Orford Cypress, that wood smells delicious.

john davey
10-17-2011, 2:28 PM
Holly smokes, I missed that. Thanks for posting it. And congrats on the 8. I am seriously jealous. Were they selling items at the show? I spoke briefly with one of the LN people but it did not look like they were actually selling anything. Just demo??? I am going to order the small router plane but would have picked it up there if I could.....John

Augusto Orosco
10-17-2011, 2:32 PM
Holly smokes, I missed that. Thanks for posting it. And congrats on the 8. I am seriously jealous. Were they selling items at the show? I spoke briefly with one of the LN people but it did not look like they were actually selling anything. Just demo??? I am going to order the small router plane but would have picked it up there if I could.....John

Thanks, that monster was impressive. I was even more impressive by how smooth the cut was. At that size, I was expecting a very rough cut, which was not the case!

They were selling a few items, but not everything that was on display (in fact, the #8 is back-ordered and I will have to wait a couple of weeks, but who cares!). If you placed the order with them right there, shipping was free, though.

Scott Stafford
10-17-2011, 3:36 PM
I might be completely mistaken about this but I think I read a piece of an article on this exact band saw in Woodshop News within the last year or so. The article was on buying used equipment and refurbishing it. Again I may be wrong, but it seems to me this bandsaw was Navy surplus and Hearne restored it and modified it to suit their exact needs. A fascinating piece of machinery.

Scott in Montana

Scott Stafford
10-17-2011, 3:40 PM
Hey! I was right... it actually was this band saw that was purchased from the Navy and restored. Here's a link to the article if anyone's interested.

http://www.woodshopnews.com/news/features/499249-used-but-not-abused?start=1

Scott in Montana