PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl - What happened?

Keith E Byrd
10-10-2011, 2:03 PM
I made a Cherry Burl pen this weekend. (The burl was cut about 6 months age, cut into blanks and waxed) I turned the pen and finsihed it with CA and the pen came out beautiful IMO! But the next day the CA has bumps all over it. The finish is still glossy and hard but it now has bumps all over it - Can anyone tell me what happened?

Tim Rinehart
10-10-2011, 3:19 PM
Sounds like the waxing was complete enough to keep it from drying and so it was still technically green and drying out after finish turning. Maybe next time...either do the DNA bath and dry...or see about a moisture meter to check before turning if any doubt. Other options of course to assure dry.

Jim Burr
10-10-2011, 3:46 PM
Sounds like a little moisture was hiding inside Keith. Burls dry kinda crazy so DNA is a good way to go. Drop a 1x1x5-6 blank in DNA. Due to the size...water should be displaced in a day or two. Pull it out and let it flash dry for 30 min...wrap it up in a healthy amount of paper...burls are crazy!!...and hide it in a cool place for 2-3 weeks. Remember they are smaller that bowls so the longer time doesn't help. Easier to weigh a pen blank if you want to track moisture loss that way. Good luck!!

Keith E Byrd
10-10-2011, 4:19 PM
Sounds like a little moisture was hiding inside Keith. Burls dry kinda crazy so DNA is a good way to go. Drop a 1x1x5-6 blank in DNA. Due to the size...water should be displaced in a day or two. Pull it out and let it flash dry for 30 min...wrap it up in a healthy amount of paper...burls are crazy!!...and hide it in a cool place for 2-3 weeks. Remember they are smaller that bowls so the longer time doesn't help. Easier to weigh a pen blank if you want to track moisture loss that way. Good luck!!

Jim,
What do you think would happen if I drilled, glued to brass tube, turned it close to the required size and then put in DNA? Woulld it impact the strngth of the CA bond to brass tube? Seems like it would dry very fast that way.

Jim Burr
10-10-2011, 7:44 PM
I'd leave it in the blank form...if any warping occurs in drying...and it can and will with burls of any kind!!!, you'll warp the tube and the tranny won't work. You won’t be able to trim the barrels or clamp it up in a vertical fashion. I tried that with a really wet Amboyna burl slab, a huge chunk of which is still wrapped up. It not only bent the tube...it cracked it.
DNA has never shown a negative effect on CA. I've tried it a few times with no degradation in hold, but I'd still stay away from the process. Need and blanks...acrylic...burl...cool wood stuff? Let me know!