PDA

View Full Version : Another Victim

alex grams
10-10-2011, 12:57 PM
It begins. I just ordered a delta 46-460, Nova G3-D Chuck, bed extension, and the PSI Benjamin's Best 6 piece tool set. We are expecting our first kid come December, and I knew it was kind of a now-or-never proposition (well, at least 'now-or-not-for-a-while').

I really don't want to do turning as a solo endeavor, but more as a compliment to my normal woodworking. I would like to make accented columns on some cabinets, pens/mills/mallets. I am sure the more of it i do the more I will enjoy, so I opted to get something larger than a mini, and the 46-460 got nothing but rave reviews from all of the creekers who had one.

Marty Eargle
10-10-2011, 1:04 PM
Congrats on the new gear and the coming baby!

Better get in all the turning you can in the next two months!

Jeff Fagen
10-10-2011, 1:52 PM
You've been sucked into the vortex now,resistance is futal!!!

John Keeton
10-10-2011, 2:10 PM
Alex, sounds like 2011 is a good year - all around! Congrats!

Lee Koepke
10-10-2011, 2:12 PM
It begins. I just ordered a delta 46-460, Nova G3-D Chuck, bed extension, and the PSI Benjamin's Best 6 piece tool set. We are expecting our first kid come December, and I knew it was kind of a now-or-never proposition (well, at least 'now-or-not-for-a-while').

I really don't want to do turning as a solo endeavor, but more as a compliment to my normal woodworking. I would like to make accented columns on some cabinets, pens/mills/mallets. I am sure the more of it i do the more I will enjoy, so I opted to get something larger than a mini, and the 46-460 got nothing but rave reviews from all of the creekers who had one. good luck with that!!!! It was my feelings too about a year ago !!!! haha .... I still do flatwork, but my tablesaw has slowly been overtaken by sanding discs, a grinder, and assorted shavings of the week!

Congrats though, you will enjoy it!

alex grams
10-10-2011, 2:20 PM
Thanks Lee. While I appreciate the art of bowls, I find art and beauty of wood demonstrated through its functionality in design to be my main pleasure, and bowls (while an art in of themselves) are too much of a 'just sit and look at it but don't use or touch it'.

Though, this view may change :)

Alltogether I spent around $1000 for the lathe/extension/tools/chuck. The lathe was $549 with free shipping from CPO, after a $50 rebate. $150 cheaper than woodcraft/rockler (no tax, +50$ cheaper, +$50 rebate)

I have some nice osage orange I want to turn into mallets as my first project that I got from some family land. The only thing better than pretty wood is pretty wood with a history/story.

Jim Burr
10-10-2011, 3:50 PM
I have found that a spinning lathe drowns out the sound of a crying baby nicely! Good luck on both!!

Tim Rinehart
10-10-2011, 4:28 PM
Alex, congrats on new baby to come and on the lathe. Sounds like you got a great deal...I like CPO and anything that says "refurbished". Look forward to opinions after you settle in with it a bit.

Donny Lawson
10-10-2011, 4:56 PM
Congrats on the coming of the new tools and Baby. Just make sure you post pics of both when it all gets here. What all did you get in the BB turning tools you ordered? You will love the 46-460. It's a great machine.

alex grams
10-10-2011, 5:04 PM
I ordered the HSS set that included the:

1/2" Bowl
1" Roughing Gouge
3/8" Spindle Gouge
1" Standard Skew
1" Round Nose Scraper
3/4"x1/8" Parting Tool

Plus these individually:
1/2" Skew
1/2" Round Nose Scraper
3/4" Square End Scraper
1/2" x 1/8" Parting tool

Altogether, about $150.

I will need to also get some calipers, and if i get to making legs for desks/furniture, then I will need to possibly look at a duplicator.

Lee Koepke
10-10-2011, 7:19 PM
One thing that I have discovered about turning, you get to see Moore fascinating grain revelations than flatwork sometimes provides. It's quite the compliment to the two dimensional side. Look forward to seeing what you do.