PDA

View Full Version : Staggered Segmented Bowl

Dave Masters
10-10-2011, 12:17 PM

This one is fairly simple, made of walnut, ash, and bloodwood. About 12" in diameter and 7" tall. C&C welcome, as always.

John Keeton
10-10-2011, 2:14 PM
Simple, but very nice! Sometimes, they get too busy looking - this one is very pleasing.

cal thelen
10-10-2011, 2:20 PM
looks real nice. I love the look of the segmented pieces but I just dont enjoy the prep work.

Robert McGowen
10-10-2011, 2:44 PM
looks real nice. I love the look of the segmented pieces but I just dont enjoy the prep work.

You mean as opposed to the prep work for a solid bowl - drive to the wood lot, chainsaw trees, haul logs, cut out blanks, rough turn the blanks, clean up piles of shavings, dry bowl for weeks to months, find out the blank cracked and throw it away............ that kind of prep work? :D

I like the segmenting and it looks good. I don't really like the form itself though, as the size of the base looks out of proportion to the rest of the bowl to me. It looks like you have a curve going to the base and then just drop down with a straight line to the base.

I look forward to seeing the next one.

Jim Burr
10-10-2011, 3:52 PM
Again...you segment folks rock!!

Russell Neyman
10-10-2011, 4:25 PM
looks real nice. I love the look of the segmented pieces but I just don't enjoy the prep work.

I don't do very much segmented work, especially using the method that Dave employs so that every single piece is exactly right. It's tougher than it looks, and I'm guessing the ratio of hours work for segmented versus blank turning is about three-to-one plus much more down time waiting for the glue-ups to dry. A typical segmented turner owns about four-bazillion clamps of various types, and Dave manufactured his own ring press for vertical glueups. There's considerably less waste, though.

Another thing that the segmentarians (HA!) have going for them is they don't have to deal with working across the grain. Tearout is almost non-existent because they can choose the direction of every piece. I have seen, though, problems at the sanding stage when there's a marked difference in hardness of the adjacent segments.

John Keeton's comment strikes a chord with me. So many segmented bowls look like checkerboards, especially when the pieces are all the same size. Dave is continually making sketches to come up with variations on the design, and he makes rings that vary from ten to 20 pieces -- double that if he adds a contrasting spacer.