PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection - Easy Adjustment for Any Size and Shape

Matt Hutchinson
10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I finally got some dust collection for my shop, a Jet air scrubber and a 1.5HP JDS Dustforce. I have been wanting them for a while, but I recently received an order for 130 rolling pins, and I wasn't about to be turning day after day in "thick as pea soup" airborne dust.

I was trying to figure out a good way to collect sanding dust at the lathe, and I came up with the following. (Although, it's probably been done before.)

I attached a wide and deep shelf on the wall using T-track and knobs for height adjustment, making sure it could go below the level of the ways. I attached some sheet metal to the top surface, and I made sure the support brackets wouldn't interfere with the banjo when the shelf is in a high position.

I than made some mounting blocks for the dust fittings using 3 layers of MDF, 6" wide x 11" long. After bandsawing out a 4" hole, I attached sheet metal to 2 sides of the blocks, and installed rare earth magnets on the other 2 sides. Once the plastic DC fittings were epoxied in place the system was ready for a test.

And it works great! In the first photo I have things placed to collect when I'm making spindles, with plenty of space behind the workpiece to accommodate 6" calipers. The rest of the photos show the easy adjustment and different configurations of this system: any angle, stacked, side by side, horizontal, vertical, or both.

If I had to make it again I would use larger magnets than the 1/2" ones that were used. It would be nice to have a little more holding power. I think another improvement may be to make the shelf tilt down like a drop leaf table, with the shelf supports hinged so one doesn't have to remove the shelf for any reason. (I don't foresee having to remove it much, but it's slightly annoying to have to get all the T-bolts in the track.) Also, my lathe is currently a little close to the wall, and the 4" hoses are a bit of a pain to place easily. Of course, the wall shelf holding the calipers wasn't designed with DC in mind, and it needs to be rebuilt so I don't have to reach so far over the spinning workpiece. Other than that I'm quite pleased!

- Hutch

Jon Prouty
10-10-2011, 2:10 PM
Great job - very professional looking setup that is versatile. My feeble attempt involves a plastic hood that is propped up with a stick against the wall. When the stick falls the hood falls. One day I should do something a bit better. I really like this setup.

Jamie Donaldson
10-10-2011, 3:46 PM
209738There are many options available in the heating/cooling ductwork used in the building industry. Here is a version that I built years ago, and is flexible enough to move and has flat space on the top for small accessories like CA glue etc. The base is an old microphone stand, but there again many options are available, such as an old desk chair base with rollers that I used for a dust collector on another lathe station.