PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw decision help

Matt Day
10-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I used to have a RAS that I used for crosscutting, but sold it before a couple of moves across the country. Part of me wants to get another RAS, like an older Dewalt and restore it, but my first priority is to get my new shop up and running completely which includes building new cabinets and a miter saw station. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't need another project!

What I want is a large crosscut capacity, and of course for it to be as accurate and adjustable as possible. I don't work with very thick material and don't plan on huge crown molding, so I think I'd be fine with a 10" saw but 12" would be okay too.

This saw will be basically a permanent fixture in my shop (no plans on moving it to do any site work or anything) so weight or size is not a big concern. But I would like to get the saw as close to the shop wall as possible, so I'm looking at compact slide saws such as these two, the Makita 1016 and Hitachi C12.

http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_C12RSH_12_Sliding_Dual_Compound_Miter_Saw_ with_Laser_Marker_(Reconditioned)___i192.aspx
http://www.cpoindustrialpowertools.com/factory-reconditioned-makita-ls1016l-r-10-in-dual-slide-compound-miter-saw-with-laser/mktrls1016l-r,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=makita-miter-saws

I did notice that the Makita doesn't come with a blade, so that will add some cost to that saw. Of course the stock blade on the Hitachi or most any saw is probably not the best and would need to be updgraded anyway.

I don't want to spend the money on the Bosch or a Festool, it's just simply not in the budget. I'd like to keep it uner $500, so the 12" Makita for example is out range.

Which would you all suggest or recommend?

Thanks!

Paul Symchych
10-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Re: Makita and blades: I have the older 1013 and love it. Check on the OEM blade not being part of the package. Mine came with a blade and that has been one sweet blade, still going strong after many years. While many factory blades may be junk don't dismiss Makita's.

Matt Day
10-10-2011, 11:31 AM
The one I'm looking at is the reconditioned model, which doesn't include one according to the comparison of New vs Reconditioned.

Paul McGaha
10-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi Matt,

I have a 10" Hatachi Slider w laser that I like well enough. It' almost 4 years old and has been pretty good. No complaints. I got it at amazon.com

I use it with a couple of biesmeyer miter saw tables and stop.

I use a Freud ultimate cut off blade.

Good luck with it.

PHM

phil harold
10-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a hitachi 8" for 17 years now no problems
I like the idea of the new hitachi, sounds like a good price!
until I see the 75 dollar shipping price...
get a new one at amazon
amazon.com/Hitachi-C12RSH-12-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B000E7UJRI
for 478.00 with free shipping

Alex Pierce
10-10-2011, 1:29 PM
The 12" Dewalt model isn't a bad choice for $400-500. In the Hitachi vs. the Makita, I would take the Makita any day. Their tools are just really good and long lasting.

Dave Aronson
10-10-2011, 2:09 PM
I know this is sacrilege but I have a lowly Harbor Freight 10" slider and with a reasonable blade it had done a great job for the last 5 years. I usually don't trust Harbor Freight with spinning blades but it got good reviews when I bought it.

Matt Day
10-10-2011, 3:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions of the Dewalt and the HF. I also looked at the Bosch, but those three all have full extension sliders in the back which take up a lot of room. I'd like to build this into a set of shop cabinets, and I don't want those cabinets to have to extremely deep just for the saw. I think I need to go to the big box stores and take some measurements to make sure, but I think the Hitachi is the way I'll go.

Mats Bengtsson
10-11-2011, 2:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions of the Dewalt and the HF. I also looked at the Bosch, but those three all have full extension sliders in the back which take up a lot of room. I'd like to build this into a set of shop cabinets, and I don't want those cabinets to have to extremely deep just for the saw. I think I need to go to the big box stores and take some measurements to make sure, but I think the Hitachi is the way I'll go.

Bosch does have a miter which does not extend in the back in the traditional way.

--- Mats ---

Doug Colombo
10-11-2011, 8:04 AM
Bosch does have a miter which does not extend in the back in the traditional way.--- Mats ---

They do - the Bosch Glide. Excellent saw - I bought one a few months back and love it, although it is a bit above the OP's price point. If you can increase the budget, the Glide will give you the cutting capacity (14" cross cut) that you are looking for without taking up the space behind the saw that the sliders do.

Matt Day
10-11-2011, 8:36 AM
Yup, I'm well aware of the Glide and would love to have it, but as I said in the original post it's out of my price range. Though I did just look at the price and I can it for $630 + the cost of a blade. Hmm, we'll see if I can convince the LOML!

Doug Colombo
10-11-2011, 8:54 AM
If it helps convince your LOML, the blade that comes with the saw seems to be a good blade - installed crown and floor mouldings with no issues ..... : )

Craig McCormick
10-11-2011, 9:03 AM
I have a 10" HF sliding compound miter saw I bought 5 years ago when I was in a bind and needed a saw and didn't have time to go back to the shop to get my good one. The first time I pulled the trigger it sounded like the bearings were going out on the motor. Horrible sound! Well five years later and thousands of feet of crown and base the saw still sounds the same. I can't say it's a pleasure to use but it has worked just fine. I felt funny buying a $100 blade for a $100 saw.

AZCRAIG

Will Winder
10-11-2011, 9:13 AM
I have the C12 non-slider and it has worked well for me over the past year, the fence clamp isn't great but does the job. Adjustments were easy, I'm fairly happy with the accuracy. I like the laser a lot more than I was expecting to - mine was dead on with no adjustments.

Looks like lowes has the C12 slider you're looking at for $400, if you can get over the green alien design its a great saw.

Marty Paulus
10-12-2011, 7:28 PM
I have a hitachi 8" for 17 years now no problems
I like the idea of the new hitachi, sounds like a good price!
until I see the 75 dollar shipping price...
get a new one at amazon
amazon.com/Hitachi-C12RSH-12-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B000E7UJRI
for 478.00 with free shipping

My local Lowes has the 12RSH HItachi for $399. I too am in the market for a miter and I have convinced the LOML that it may cost in the $600 range for a 12" slider. I am real tempted to give that Hitachi a try though. I also see DeWalt has come out with a new 12" slider the DWS780. HD has it for $599 but it is right next to the previous model 718 at the same price. Then I see Lowes has the Bosch slider for the same price. Decisions, decisions....

Roy Turbett
10-12-2011, 10:57 PM
I wish the Glide was available when I bought my slider. The only slider that comes close to its small bench footprint is the Hitachi 12" that I rejected because of its weight. Since you're not planing on moving the saw, it may be a good choice for you. I initally bought the old style Bosch 12" slider but returned it because the dust collection port wasn't as good as their 10", the laser line moved more than 1/32" when I lowered the head, and there was no tool storage bin. I returned it and bought the Bosch 10". I have it on a Ridgid stand and like being able to store it upright in a corner of the shop. The saw is very good with all of the controls in the front and has adequate dust collection when hooked to a shop vac, but there have been several times I wished I had a 12". The laser was fairly accurate before it burned out. I don't miss it.

Kevin Presutti
10-13-2011, 8:46 AM
Matt,
Get on CL and look for an old DeWalt RAS, I live about 3 hours from Cleveland in NY and I have looked up old DW RAS and you should be able to find one that is up and running I know because I've looked. Maybe not the prettiest but they are a workhorse, I have a GA and have been looking for a GWI. As far as the MS, I have a Bosch 4410L SCMS and I love it, get a digital cube and protractor, cutting angles will be enjoyable. Check out CPO Bosch even the 12" looks pretty nice (10" blades are a little more affordable). Best of Luck!

Kevin

Richard Shaefer
10-13-2011, 8:58 AM
my own 2 cents is that I'd rather have a 10" slider. I have a 12" right now, but it's a big muther and I hate having two saw blade inventories for the 10" table saw and the 12" miter saw.

John TenEyck
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm with Kevin about getting another RAS since you had one and seem to regret getting rid of it. You should be able to find a good old Dewalt for not all that much; I see one every few weeks in my area. With a RAS to make wide cuts you won't need a SCMS, a CMS will do just nicely, and you might be able to buy both machines for the price of a good SCMS. I have a Bosch 12" CMS, that I only bought because I needed one for an install project, but now that I have it I really like it for miters and crown molding. It took several hours to get it tuned up (don't believe that "it's perfect out of the box" stuff you'll read about any machine), but it cuts beautifully now even with the factory blade. Having it now allows me to leave my Dewalt RAS set up for just 90 deg cuts most of the time

Robert Chapman
10-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I have learned over the years that it is better to save your money and by a really good quality tool than to spend less for lesser quality and then upgrade later. Having said that I would suggest that you save your money and buy the Bosch Glider. I have one and it's a great, accurate saw with a small foot print - even with the 12" blade.

Peter Kelly
10-15-2011, 12:09 PM
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/2606230213.html

Looks like a fun restoration project...

Peter Quinn
10-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I have the makita 1016, it's a fine saw I enjoy using. Makita is trying hard to compete with the kapex head on here, and they are pretty close on cutting performance, though not on dust collection. It's a fine saw with some good improvements over the previous incarnation, eecially the readable bevel scale and the ability to swing past 45 on miters. Too bad you don't get the blade, the stock makita blades on thismone are great! Guess they got my letter about the blade on the 1013?

johnny means
10-15-2011, 3:49 PM
What other machines do you currently own? A table saw with a couple of different sleds and a good miter gauge will do a much better job with miters than any miter saw. I have a 12" Dewalt that cuts almost perfectly, but I'm still starting to use my table saw more and more for crosscuts of all kinds.

Steve Griffin
10-15-2011, 6:00 PM
If you own the shop and plan to be there awhile, you might consider doing what I did to make more room--cut a hole in the wall.

Between two studs, I cut out sheetrock behind the mitersaw and framed in the opening. Put some 1/2" foamboard on the exterior sheathing and 1/2" sheetrock the interior of the opening.

I did this even though I prefer 12" non-sliders, as it basically added 5" to my shop. It allows the miter saw station to sit on some 24" base cabinets and still have room to set things on the countertops.

Matt Day
10-16-2011, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Tom, but my walls are CMU.

So I'm still kind of on the fence, but I can get a Dewalt RAS for $100 which I think I'd be happy with, not to mention save $300. The saw was used by a small family millwork shop. Anyone help identify this particular model? It's a Dewalt/Black and Decker, and appears to be before B&D took over the design of it and made it not as good. Cast iron top, cuts well (surely needs some adjustment for WW'ing though), comes with a Freud blade.

Peter Kelly
10-17-2011, 8:31 AM
Looks to be a mid-1960s 12" R1512 Type A. $100- is a good price. Would just double check to make sure the motor is single phase.

Matt Day
10-17-2011, 8:54 PM
Well I have a Dewalt 7790 in the back of my Subaru Forester (props to my trusty subie!). The guy I bought it from was great and helped me remove the saw from the base. Saw came with a $60 Freud blade in good condition too! I didn't mind taking it apart since I need to get it in the basement like that anyway, and I'll be taking it apart to give it a good service before I start using it. I'm going to plan to install it permanently in my future shop cabinets (like a miter saw station).

Thanks for all your help eveyone, I guess I'm a RAS guy!

Kevin Presutti
10-17-2011, 9:24 PM
BE SURE to get Wally Kunkle's Mr. Sawdust book it is invaluable information since you are now the proud owner of the finest RAS ever produced. I own a GA 16" blade, 3 HP, 1 Phase. The thing makes sawdust for a living. I am looking for a GWI which is Wally's favorite out all the different models made. They are all very similar and for most part operate the same. You need to go to Vintage Machinery and register your DeWalt saw, model, serial number, photos are good, and if it came with the original paperwork be sure to put that on there as well, any history you have come to know about the saw i.e. purchased from the original owner, son, grandson etc. If you need owners manual I believe you can get at Vintage Machinery as well or they will link you to OWWM. Sweet!

Kevin :o