PDA

View Full Version : Portable Saw Till

Andrew Teich
10-09-2011, 10:22 PM
I finished a saw till the other week for my Lee Valley Veritas Dovetail and Small Crosscut Saw set. It is based off of the design for Veritas saws from a blog, Austin Anitics. It is a part of my plan to make my tool closet a little bit easier to use. Hopefully I can get my hand planes fixed up and then build them a portable till as well. The Till lifts right off the cleat hanger and can be taken out to the garage where I take my portable work bench out of the storage unit and set up. The leather straps help to keep the saws from sliding out in transit. I also cut two slots and made it tall enough that it should accommodate the Veritas Carcase Saws set. I just need a project in the future that requires that purchase. All my current projects are shop stuff and tool repairs. Hopefully I will have the right tools working and my skills developed enough that I can start making nicer projects.

Jim Neeley
10-10-2011, 12:35 AM
I dunno Andrew, that looks pretty nice from here!!

Jim

Chris Griggs
10-10-2011, 7:42 AM
All my current projects are shop stuff and tool repairs. Hopefully I will have the right tools working and my skills developed enough that I can start making nicer projects.

Real nice Andrew - looks very well executed. Thanks for sharing the design. Shop projects are a great way to develop skills, but don't wait to start making "nicer" projects if that's what you want to do. There is a tendency for many of us to wait until we have perfected our skills to take on certain projects. The reality is that projects that are just a bit out of our current skill set are what push ones skills up to the next level very quickly (In education and psych this is called "zone of proximal development). If there's a non shop project you really want to build, I'd say take it on. If it doesn't come out perfect that's ok - learning as you go will take you farther, faster than any amount of shop practice, and if you carefully think through and take your time on the challenging aspects, it will probably come out quite nice.

Anyway, again, nice work on the saw till!

McKay Sleight
10-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Andrew, I like your version of a till. I have included some pictures of my till. It will hold ten saws. The outside is a wood applique (decoration only) that I made by using my Disston as a template. I have a french cleat on the back to attach it to the wall when I am not using the till. The box is dovetailed from pine. I have used this for a number of years so it seems to be holding up well. 210258210259In the bottom corner of the picture, you will notice a bandage that I always seem to need. I guess that I should include thread and a needle to sew those pesky cuts from chisels.

Andrew Teich
10-16-2011, 1:54 PM
I like your saw box. That would be really handy for taking them on the road rather than 40 ft into the garage. The box offers much more protection and I suppose you never forget what's in there either with that cool saw on the front. I may have to think about this when I start to think of a way to keep my handsaws. I have 2 26" Disston D8's. One an older thumbhole 5.5 rip and the other a modern 8 xcut. The handle on the modern one is terrible, but hopefully the blade will turn out to be serviceable. They currently are disassembled as I was contemplating how to address the handle and hanging from a nail in the storage unit.

Do be careful out there. They only give you so many fingers.
AT