PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make spin tops out of Corian?

Jack Gaskins
10-09-2011, 10:11 PM
I have a bunch of cut up strips of corian and was wondering which way to orient them when making spin tops. Do I glue them up and turn them length ways or stack and turn them? Has anyone turned tops from Corian and is it worth it?

Dale Miner
10-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Jack,

No, I've not turned a spin top from Corian. But, it would seem to me to that making the disc from one piece, and the stem and point from another and then joining would be the most efficient.

David E Keller
10-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Corian glues up very well, so I'll bet you could do it either way. With that said, I'd probably orient the seams perpendicular to the axis of rotation to avoid a seam at the point of the top.

Matt Owen
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Corian glues up very well, so I'll bet you could do it either way. With that said, I'd probably orient the seams perpendicular to the axis of rotation to avoid a seam at the point of the top.

+1. You want to make sure the tip is one solid piece, otherwise it probably won't spin as well and it will be easier to damage.

Ken Dolph
10-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Several years ago we made some tops for DuPont. For ours there was no gluing involved. We drove a 1/4" diameter knurled aluminum knob through a slightly undersized whole in the 1/2" Corian disk. Then turned the shape and the conical tip on the aluminum. They worked great.