PDA

View Full Version : Jacaranda HF

Kathy Marshall
10-09-2011, 9:05 PM
I posted a pic in another thread of this hf while still on the lathe. Here it is with some BLO and a coat of sanding sealer, 4" x 5 1/4". I'll probably add a couple coats of WOP then knock back the gloss with steel wool to get it back to this soft finish.
I also turned another Jacaranda bowl today (more of a closed form), 3" x 5 1/4" also with some BLO and a coat of sanding sealer.
And here's a pic of all 3 Jacaranda pieces together.
In between turning these 3 pieces, I managed to get the whole load cut into blanks and sealed. I ended up with 35 blanks :eek: here's a few of them. A productive weekend! :D

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Bill Walsh
10-09-2011, 9:17 PM
VERY nice Kathy, Love the shape of your HF. And the other two pieces...
Going to give BLO a try on my next project. (thanks for the replay)
I've been cutting up bowl blanks and HF blanks this week. Mine is all maple that a power company had taken down right next to the road. About 36" dia. I rough turned and cored 11 bowl blanks today and will be back at it again tomorrow!!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2011, 9:43 PM
Really nice Kathy. I do like the HF.

Bill Bolen
10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Beautiful pieces all Kathy. Very attractive wood too. You know me, I'm a HF junkie and man do I love the curve of that HF. Gorgeous!

Baxter Smith
10-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Very nice shape on that HF Kathy!

Doug W Swanson
10-09-2011, 11:29 PM
That's some pretty looking wood, Kathy. You may have 35 blanks but I figure that will only take about 4 days at the rate you crank them out....

Kenny Jacobson
10-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Those are beautiful, Kathy. Now I'll have to keep my eye open for someone taking down a jacaranda around here.

Jeff Fagen
10-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Those are fabulous! Inventory must really be piling up on you.

John Keeton
10-10-2011, 5:33 AM
Kathy Marshall, the turning machine!! You are, without doubt, the busiest person I know - you define the term "vortex"!!

Beautiful work - again! Are you selling this stuff yet? It is certainly good enough. Or, have you bought another truck trailer for storage??

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2011, 7:35 AM
Beautiful work on everything Kathy! Really like the group photo! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Tom Winship
10-10-2011, 8:47 AM
Lovely, Kathy. And I really like your new signature.

Kathy Marshall
10-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm very happy with how they all turned out and eager to add to the set!

Kathy Marshall, the turning machine!! You are, without doubt, the busiest person I know - you define the term "vortex"!!

Beautiful work - again! Are you selling this stuff yet? It is certainly good enough. Or, have you bought another truck trailer for storage??
Thanks John! Haven't really sold anything yet (unless you count the pieces I managed to trade to my sister for cash :eek: ), been thinking about it, but haven't found the time yet lol)

Lovely, Kathy. And I really like your new signature.
Thanks Tom! You should like the signature, you gave it to me! :D

Beautiful work on everything Kathy! Really like the group photo! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
Thanks Steve! Working on something that I hope will turn out as nice as I think it might, should know tomorrow!