PDA

View Full Version : My Home made tires

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-09-2011, 9:04 PM
Here are a set of robot tires I made with my laser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDDPagdes0

Dee Gallo
10-09-2011, 9:46 PM
That is actually adorable, Mike! My nephews would LOVE that. Good job!

cheers, dee

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-09-2011, 11:09 PM
This version of the bot is a bit on the expensive side to build. It uses 6, RX-64 Actuators. The cost $300 each. That brings the cost to build this bot at just under $2000.

The upper set of RX-64's are not currently being used. They will controll a front flipper. All the parts on this bot were cut with my laser, but once the front flipper is complete it will be converted over to the CNC. The CNC will enable me to use different materials for the body parts.

Once its all complete and working, I will change the design a little to utilize the much cheaper AX-12A and even Full rotation servos. This will bring the cost to build to around $100.

Bruce Dorworth
10-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Michael, very cool! I was getting ready to write and say I was interested in the robot as well, but the $2000,00 price somewhat threw me off.

Are you willing to share any info on the making of the tires?? I have a project that they should work perfect for.

I did receive the information on the clock. Very well done. I think even I will be able to build this one.

Bruce

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-10-2011, 2:05 AM
Im not going to sell that thing. I plan on building 4 of that model to experiment with team AI in a battle arena. The RX-64 actuators used are unbelivable. They pack so much power into such a small package. They can power a much larger bot. Once thats 10 times the size and weight of this one.

Once this bot is converted over to CNC the drawing files will be added to the KRMx01 DVD. I will also do a vid showing the way I made the tires. If you have a laser its a no brainer. Not sure you can cut craft foam very easy with a CNC.

Those tires were an after thought, as I had created a set of much larger wheels with my CNC. I posted a question on this site about a mushy material to use for the tires. I need something I can cut with the laser or CNC. I was thinking of 1/4" craft foam.

Once I get the larger wheel/tires complete I will post them.

One the clock, have you decided if you are going laser or CNC?

Frank Corker
10-10-2011, 9:58 AM
Really cool bot, wheels look great.

Neal Schlee
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Pretty Cool!!

Neal

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-10-2011, 5:16 PM
OK I added Stage 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZRWauNRVLo

I still need to add a small sheet metal plate to the front scoop.