PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing MDF

Todd Leback
10-09-2011, 8:57 PM
Does anyone have a source for, or know if it is available, either 1/4 or 1/8 Ultralight MDF? It's like MDF, but lighter . . . . I'm on the east coast, incidentally, in Virginia. I need a stable, fairly lightweight substrate that I can laminate to get greater strength prior to veneering, and I can only find 1/2 ultralight or thicker.

Todd

johnny means
10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
What do you mean by laminate for greater strength? How thick does you finished panel need to be?

Todd Leback
10-10-2011, 7:12 AM
I'm going to be laminating multiple plies of MDF together to essentially create "plywood". The thickness depends on the actual project, but will be around 1". Obviously, the more plies I use the stiffer the panel will be. I'm using MDF because it is stable, flat, inexpensive, and an ideal substrate for veneering. Yes, I know people will be suggesting alternatives, but I'm really just wondering if Ultralight MDF is available in 1/4 or 1/8 thicknesses.

Todd

Keith Outten
10-10-2011, 7:15 AM
Todd,

You probably want Trupan Ultralight MDF.

The closest place I know of that sells Trupan is Atlantic Plywood in Richmond Virginia. They deliver to a lot of locations in Hampton Roads so you should be able to get it delivered to your shop.

If the sheet edges are not marked Trupan then you didn't get the real thing.

johnny means
10-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I used to use a lot of Ultra light, and never saw it thinner than .5".

Also, MDF is not wood and doesn't gain anything from lamination. Plywood adds stability to solid wood by alternating grain direction. Apples to apples, solid wood is stiffer. MDF, being homogenous won't have any of the weakness inherent in solid wood. It can't check or bow, it doesn't have internal stress. Laminating MDF won't create a stronger or more stable product, just a thicker piece of MDF with less consistency in thickness.

Todd Leback
10-10-2011, 3:16 PM
Actually, I have done some testing and found that laminating MDF does add considerable strength due to the glue joints and the shear strength they create. I've done some panels using two layers of 1/2 and some using 4 layers of 1/4, and the panels composed of 4 layers is noticably stronger and has virtually no sag. Again, it is the glue joint that creates the shear strength; alternating veneers in plywood simply add stability as opposed to rigidity. Otherwise, how to explain the strength of paralams and other engineered lumber?

Todd