PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange - Small Bowl

Lee Koepke
10-09-2011, 8:17 PM
I picked up a bit of Osage Orange recently, finally got some time to chew some wood! I started with a larger bowl (roughly 8" dia) but I think it has a structural crack that looked a bit unsettling ....

So, I moved on to a smaller blank I bandsawed -- roughly 5" or so. It has a little crack too, hoping it holds together.

Of course, it makes 'unique' shavings.....very colorful.

Well, comments / critiques welcome! Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
10-09-2011, 8:24 PM
Lee, I would have passed on that first one, too! Looks a bit dangerous. The second one, however, made into a nice bowl. Love the color, and even after it ages it will be nice. Wouldn't mind turning some osage - if someone else harvests it!! We have way too much of it on our property and seems it is always getting the best of me when I mow on the tractor!:mad:

Bill Walsh
10-09-2011, 8:48 PM
Lee, nice bowl and a good call on passing on the other cracked bowl. I wear a hard hat with a face shield always while turning, just in case something flys off!!!! Was rough turning a batch of maple today and had a piece of bark fly off, hit the shield or the helmet and made lots of noise but never felt a thing!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2011, 9:36 PM
Good choice on passing on the first one. Second one is a nice looking bowl.

Baxter Smith
10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Very pretty wood. Hope it stays together!

Donny Lawson
10-10-2011, 6:44 AM
Nice looking bowl. Osage Orange seems to be a good wood to turn. That's the one type of wood I cannot get here. I have seen very few trees and they are not being cut.

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2011, 7:31 AM
Good looking bowl Lee! Really like all that grain! Sure is some rich color! Your lathe and shavings reminds me of that Packer game I watched last night!