PDA

View Full Version : Easy Wood Tools

Jonathan Smith
10-09-2011, 6:56 PM
I've taken non turning classes with David Marks at Woodcraft (great guy,) and I'm on his mailing list. I got an email describing his line of Easy Wood Tools.

They seem very pricey (I still use Harbor Freight and WoodRiver.)

They say you don't sharpen them? Send them in? I'm my newbie turning world sharpening is a constant thing so I'm confused!

Has anyone tried these?

Jonathan

Marty Eargle
10-09-2011, 7:18 PM
They are good looking tools, but in my opinion...quite overpriced for what they are. Check out this (and other) videos from Captain Eddie Castelin where he shows you how to make a similar tool at a much lower cost.

http://youtu.be/asbxBgGOhas

He also offers pre-made tools on his website for much cheaper.

You can also buy carbide cutters at a fairly low price from numerous supply houses.

Bill Bulloch
10-09-2011, 7:20 PM
You are right -- they are pricey. You can buy knock offs a lot cheaper ( or make your own). Are they as good as Easy Tools? I don't know since I have never used an Easy Tool. The knock offs that I have, however, used the same cutters and get the job done very nicely. Send me a PM and I'll tell you where to get the square rougher and two cutters for $20 -- you have to make your own handle. I have two finishers that a friend made for me for free and I really do like them. His cost to make them is about $20.00, but he don't sell any.

John Keeton
10-09-2011, 7:23 PM
There are several YouTube videos on these tools, and numerous threads here on the creek about them. The cutters that Craig uses are somewhat different than most I have seen, and may cut differently than those one can get through a variety of sources. However, I have never used one and cannot offer much else. I would watch the videos to decide if you want to try this type of tool. It is a scraping action vs. a planing/shearing/cutting action as one would get with traditional gouges, etc. Lot of folks love them.

allen thunem
10-09-2011, 7:45 PM
I have two of the e.w.t. they are quality tools. but his replacement cutters are quite pricey. I have been told his cutters are different than what someone can buy elsewhere for just under $3.00. Not sure about that, but for the price difference i will go with the cheaper cutters. Only difference i can see between the David marks "signature tools" and his standard tools is his name is one them and the handles are a different wood , and possibly longer. Are they worth the money??? that is subjective. They are easy to use and for a novice turner probably an adequate choice to learn with. But if you have some skills you can reproduce the tools for a fraction of the cost. probably less than 10 bucks a tools. Just my 2 cents.

Bill Schoppert
10-09-2011, 8:45 PM
I was at Woodcraft of Seattle yesterday for the annual Open House. There were a lot of vendors showing there wares. Easy Wood Tools was there demoing there tools. I almost bought the Ci1. He let me try it out and man it works. But the price is way out there. I came home and ordered a couple from Captain Eddie. We will see if there is a comparison in the use of the two different tools.

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2011, 9:54 PM
I bought my Ci1, Ci0, and Ci3 h5 from Craig himself. Yep they are pricey but they do work. I had a couple of knockoff's that I sold after getting the EWT's and there is no comparison. Craig has been extremely helpful with questions I have had. Not affiliation just a satisfied customer.

Wayne Kuhn
10-10-2011, 5:34 AM
I was hesitant about the EZ rougher esp. with a $13.00 replacement cutter cost. However when I found out about the $2.00 replacement cutter I thought I would give it a try. (http://globaltooling.com/). They do work as advertised even with the $2.00 replacement cutter. It is now my go to tool for removing bark from my rough turnings. Once the bark is gone it's back to my sharp Thompson v-groove bowl gouge.

Michelle Rich
10-10-2011, 6:38 AM
no, you do not send in for sharpening..you replace the cutters when they dull. (they last a long time) What I cannot figure is , if the replacement cutter is under 20.00, how the heck can a handle & a short bar cost over 100.00????

Allen stagg
10-10-2011, 9:05 AM
I have the David Marks series and like them. Very nice for roughing and the David Marks version has longer handles which I really liked. Just depends on your needs however and how large of stock you are turning as I turn some larger pieces. For finishing, it doesn't give as good of a finish cut as using a good sharp Ellsworth Signature gouge, but still does well. I do use mine often and mostly the rougher for roughing stock, then switch. Have done lots of projects and big stuff, and still using original cutter edge with 3 more sises to go, so the cutters are not bad priced to me for the amount of use you can get out of one.haven't tried any other brand of cutters yet, but may when ever i wear out my original.

Reed Gray
10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I did try them out once. Not really impressed. They are scrapers. I use scrapers a lot, and don't see any advantages. Perhaps the reason a lot of people like them is that they are smaller width than most of the standard scrapers, and a bit thicker. They can not be resharpened by most of us.

robo hippy

Alex Pierce
10-10-2011, 1:08 PM
I have a full sized rougher I got from Woodcraft on sale. I love the thing; it does exactly what it says it does and it does it very well. You can get carbide inserts that fit it in packs of 10 for $25. I've had mine for almost a year and still haven't changed the cutter. I wouldn't replace my sorby chisels with all EWTs, but I think it is still a great tool that is truly easy to use. P.S. the handle design is great, I buy the handless sorby tools and put them in wooden handles styled after the EWT.

Scott Kuykendall
10-10-2011, 1:38 PM
I bought a couple of inserts from Eddie and made a square and round cutter. If you can drill and tap a hole in a piece of steel I would make your own. Eddie gives the carbide cutter and the screw so if you have a tap set that's all you need. I bought some cut offs from a steel dealer for a few bucks and made my own handles. I have two tools that cost me just under $20.00.
Scott

terry mccammon
10-10-2011, 4:23 PM
I bought a set of bars and cutters from Capt. Eddie and they work just fine thank you for not much money at all. I have played with, but not used, the Easy Wood tools. As but a Fellowcraft I could not appreciate the difference in cost between the Capt. Eddie version and the Easy Wood version.

Primvs Aebvtivs
10-10-2011, 5:03 PM
For Wayne Kuhn, Sorry, I followed you link, but can't seem to find these cutters anywhere - could you let me know what the website calles them please? Interested in making my own, but I'll get them form the U.K. if possible! Thanks.

robert baccus
10-12-2011, 3:40 AM
You can order cutters from grizzly made for their planers at a small cost.----------old forester

Bill Bolen
10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Primvs try this link, same site just a bit deeper http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html#ick151525r8

martin baker
10-12-2011, 3:01 PM
​Hi Global, If you live in the UK, then I found a supplier who sells the EZ range , I called him months ago , still waiting, maybe you will be more lucky, meanwhile I made my own, anyway here is the link www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk or if you feel lucky Tel01491629699 good luck, Martin

Jon Prouty
10-12-2011, 3:11 PM
I have the EWT rougher, finisher and hollower (all the full size big ones). I lvoe the rougher for roughing. I have not erally developed a feel yet for the finisher and as the hollower is not for me. I will use it to make a couple cleaning cuts in a hollow form but hand hollowing is not for me. I confess that I have purchased the 10 pack of replacement cutters for the rougher from global and have yet to use them. I am on side 3 of my original and expect to go to the new cutters soon. I have not found a source for the round ones that are used on the finisher but as I don't use it much replacements from EWT will be what I use.

For those that bash the tools are "only scrappers" I would hazzard to guess that they haven't used them. If I could get a scrapper to do what the EWT does (curlies flying off the tool) I would agree... but a scrapper is not an EWT. Try a rougher... you will like it.

Jon