PDA

View Full Version : Out with the new. In with the old

Lamar Horton
02-27-2005, 11:48 PM
I don't know what got into me Saturday, I think I may have been temporarily insane. I had a perfectly good Delta contractors saw only 4 years old and I gave it up for this old machine.

I mean really, its got be 30 years old or more.

http://www.handcraftedbylamarhorton.com/assets/images/Uni1.jpg
http://www.handcraftedbylamarhorton.com/assets/images/Uni2.jpg

What was I thinking.

Kelly saw this in the paper friday, we went and looked at it saturday and he bought it. He said I deserved a bonus so we made an even swap, my TS for this one. I definetly ended up with a great saw. The table needs a little tweaking and a lot of cleaning, as it has sat unused for over a year. Other than that it cuts perfectly and has all the power I need and then some. The fence, blade and miter slots are all lined up to within my tolerances.

I'll be happy for a long time to come.

What a great guy Kelly is. Thanks man.

Jim Dunn
02-28-2005, 7:58 AM
Lamar that's a great looking saw!! And if your looking to trade for another contractor saw my craftsman is looking for a new home:) Did it ever have any extension tables on the right side? And where is the motor cover? Your dust collection is going to go down hill without it;)

John Renzetti
02-28-2005, 8:10 AM
Hi Lamar, You got a good deal. That Unisaw will probably last another 30 yrs. The older Unisaws and PM 66's are industrial machines designed to work all day. If you go into some of the older cabinet shops, you'll usually see a big Altendorf slider. But you'll also see the original Unisaw or PM66 still working on a daily basis.
Also Delta will have parts available if you need them.
take care, and have fun
John

Bob Aquino
02-28-2005, 8:26 AM
Ya done good. Enjoy it.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-28-2005, 8:37 AM
Your most welcome Lamar, you defintely deserve it! It won't be the last time we do this either.

Glad to hear the 'big three' lined up ok for you. I was worried about that.

Ted Shrader
02-28-2005, 9:19 AM
Lamar -

Congratulations on your 'new' saw. What a great deal and what a good guy Kelly is.

Enjoy,
Ted

Mark Singer
02-28-2005, 9:34 AM
Congradulation!!! That is a great saw!

Jim Becker
02-28-2005, 9:36 AM
Awesome aquistion, Lamar! You're working with a great guy, BTW...

Mike Wilkins
02-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Excellent decision. I acquired a similar vintage Delta/Rockwell Unisaw to take the place of my Craftsman contractor-style saw(a no-brainer).
My machine was hatched in 1964, has a single phase 1 1/2 horse 220 motor and came with the rail system similar to yours. If you decide to upgrade to a better fence, the Unifence bolts up perfectly. You will have to make your own table; I also left both cast iron tables on mine because I liked the look and the extra heft.
I also had to make a home-made motor cover out of plywood to aid in dust collection and added a new magnetic switch(from Woodworkers Supply).
Congrats and watch those fingers.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Congrats! I wished I could find somebody to swap for my contractors saw!

Charlie Woods
02-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Great looking saw. I think the older equipment is better in some ways to the newer equipment. I am finishing up the last of the work on redoing the PM66 for the shop here, and can't wait to get it running. How much cleaning are you planning on doing? Will it be surface cleaning, or will you do like I did and take the whole unit apart and clean each piece? Good luck!!

Bart Leetch
02-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Lamar

Unless your picky you can purchase the motor cover from Grizzly for a lot less than Delta & it fits & works fine. All you'll need to do is paint it gray to match your saw like I did for mine. You'll need a pair of $4 hinges that you'll only use 1 side of file or grind out between the upper & lower part that the pin goes through so the single hinge from the Grizzly cover will fit between them & pin them on your cover first & then fasten them to your case.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15364

Jim McCarty
02-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Congratulations. That is a great saw. I've had one like it for 25 years and it has been my bread and butter. A little cleaning and maybe a better fence and you'll smile every time you use it. I have a 52" Unifence I'm going to be selling in case you're interested. PM me if you have any interest. Jim

Jerry Olexa
02-28-2005, 3:42 PM
Congrats!! Great new saw AND your partner is a great guy! Enjoy it and be careful!!