PDA

View Full Version : Defoaming milk paint?

Phil Thien
10-09-2011, 5:31 PM
I mixed a batch of milk paint and I'm going to need every drop of this batch. I'd like to reclaim the foam, if possible.

The Milk Paint outfits have a defoaming product that, when a few drops are added to paint, will "kill the foam."

The MSDS says this is just a polydimethylsiloxane (silicone) emulsion.

What can I find around the house, or the store, that is a silicone emulsion? I don't have time to order the product from company.

Daniel Smith
10-10-2011, 12:38 PM
You could try infants gas drops from the pharmacy. The active ingredient (simethicone) is very good at breaking foams. The product will have a significant amount of excipients in it (flavors, emulsifiers, probably sugar), but at the volume you'll need (drops), I can't believe it will affect the final finish.

Phil Thien
10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
You could try infants gas drops from the pharmacy. The active ingredient (simethicone) is very good at breaking foams. The product will have a significant amount of excipients in it (flavors, emulsifiers, probably sugar), but at the volume you'll need (drops), I can't believe it will affect the final finish.

Good idea.

I called the milk paint outfit and they suggested hand soap, which has a defoamer in the form of SLS.

I tried the handsoap. But then I realized I don't think it was really a problem with foam, as much as it was a problem with too much clay and the way I mixed the stuff. I think I just went overboard in making sure I got a 100% mix. And the stuff kinda turned into a sponge.

I don't know, I'm using it anyhow. It sort of sticks to the brush and is difficult to spread. I used an old credit card and spread it like plaster, and then followed-up with a foam brush to smooth it out.

It looks fine.

Had I not needed every single drop of paint (to prevent having to buy another bag), I don't think I'd be in this position.

Thanks for trying to help me, I'm afraid I was beyond help this time. :)