PDA

View Full Version : eBay wood chunks...

Joe Watson
10-09-2011, 5:27 PM
Read the following in another thread.

...I've bought from this guy on eBay. He's got some pretty big stuff, and I see he's got some unique Boxelder, and Oak right now. His ebay id: philthycollins....
For those of us who are not as luck as "The Wood Magnet" (aka - Kathy Marshall), it seams like some of the prices that eBay seller has are pretty good; are they truly good prices (ive never bought chunks of wood before) ?
To get the feel for different woods; turning, sanding, staining, finishing, etc. picking up a chuck for 10, 12 bucks don't seam too bad.
At the bottom of a few auctions he states that the wood is from a landfill (nice idea - gonna give it a shot myself) so im sure its green, but non the less, if its a good deal...

Anyone have any thoughts or detailed experiences with this ?

_

Scott Hackler
10-09-2011, 6:49 PM
The only wood I would ever buy from an ebay seller would be something extra special and rare to my area. And I would prefer green/wet wood anyday. The biggest problem with buying online or anywhere non-local is that the shipping can be as much as the blank. I would look to dealers like Mike Smith with Centurytreeturnings.com. His prices at the shows beat anyone I've seen online.

The landfill or limb/grass dump is an excellent place to get wood. Also call up local arborist and ask them about getting some logs. Most of the time they are eager to give some away because its less they have to haul away.

Steve Vaughan
10-09-2011, 6:57 PM
Another source you might try is a local sawmill. They set aside useless (to them) logs sometimes, often it's a large knotted up log or split up on. They might let you in there with a chainsaw. I've got a local mill that brings in logs they use to make pallets. They keep a HUGE pile of end pieces of local variety hardwoods, great for small and sometimes medium bowls. They also have a pile of crotches and knots they cut out of the logs before milling. I've not done so myself, but I've been told they'll let you in there with your chainsaw to cut those pieces up to use for firewood. They sell their stuff for $25 per pickup load, as much as you can get in one. Not a bad price for bowl blanks or firewood!

jeff vanek
10-09-2011, 9:01 PM
wow, that guy has some beautiful boxelder for sale

Marty Eargle
10-09-2011, 9:20 PM
Off topic...but that is a great user name that guy has.

+1 for Mike Smith and his unbeatable prices.

Dennis Ford
10-10-2011, 8:33 AM
I get most of my wood from other wood turners and try to return the favor when I get access to a log. I have also purchased wood through ebay but only burl or exceptionally figured wood. The shipping cost + the price keeps me away for the more ordinary wood.

Jim Burr
10-10-2011, 9:31 AM
The only wood I would ever buy from an ebay seller would be something extra special and rare to my area. And I would prefer green/wet wood anyday. The biggest problem with buying online or anywhere non-local is that the shipping can be as much as the blank. I would look to dealers like Mike Smith with Centurytreeturnings.com. His prices at the shows beat anyone I've seen online.

The landfill or limb/grass dump is an excellent place to get wood. Also call up local arborist and ask them about getting some logs. Most of the time they are eager to give some away because its less they have to haul away.

Mike sells/supplies sellers on Ebay too...I think it's NC woods