PDA

View Full Version : Need help to attach center dividers on case.

Bob Landel
10-09-2011, 1:30 PM

Please give me some advice on attaching the center dividers to the case. The maple/birch plywood is 11/16" thick. There will be a rabbited rear panel.

I'm afraid even a "light" dado would weaken the shelves?

I plan on finishing the case prior to assembly. I'm am not thinking toe nailing. Biscuits? Short dowels?

Thanks for some help in advance.

Steven Wayne
10-09-2011, 2:21 PM
Festool Domino would be awesome for this.

Bob Landel
10-09-2011, 3:37 PM
Steve, Would you use the domino tenon through the shelf into each divider? I guess I would use #4 or #5 tenons. I need to check to see what lengths I have of each.

johnny means
10-09-2011, 7:15 PM
I can't see how dadoes would be a problem. That design wouldn't allow for any sag. But, seeing as how your parts are cut already, any hidden joinery would do. I've added dividers to similar projects by gluing and nailing a cleat onto the face of the shelves then sliding the divider onto the cleats via a matching groove.

Jeff Monson
10-09-2011, 7:45 PM
I dont think a 1/4" dado would hurt anything. I would use a dado or a domino would work great also.

Jerome Hanby
10-09-2011, 8:11 PM
Me too, I don't see how a properly executed dado weakens anything. If you cut the dados then didn't put i the middle dividers, certainly the shelf would be weaker, but with the middle pieces in it seems to me that it would be stronger than ever...

I dont think a 1/4" dado would hurt anything. I would use a dado or a domino would work great also.

Bob Landel
10-09-2011, 8:36 PM
Thanks guys. I guess dados would have been one smart way to have done it. However, John is correct, I've already cut the dividers and am too cheap to cut new pieces. Domino tenons will not be extra work and I do own one. I'm reading the manual to reacquaint myself on how to set it up.

Thanks again for your input.

Mike Wilkins
10-10-2011, 9:37 AM
Do you have a biscuit jointer?? Maybe #10 biscuits and offset them so the slot below will not interfere with the one above it.

Sam Layton
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Bob,

Another option. At this point, you could cut splines and stop short of the front so they would not show. A 1/4" X 1/2" spline would do the job.

Sam

Pat Barry
10-10-2011, 8:24 PM
I like this idea given what you have already done. Really like the idea that you can get the spline grooves on the shelves perfectly aligned to each other. Since I assume you will have a face frame of sorts on this, the splines will be covered. I don't have the domino tool but wonder if you can get the alignment as precisely.

Bob Landel
10-10-2011, 9:30 PM
Spline idea sounds interesting; maybe contrasting? Need to visualize. The finished face needs to be flush. I think I could line up the Dominos. I will let you guys know how I end up doing it later

Thanks all for the suggestions.

david brum
10-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I have often done dividers with biscuits. It's quick and easy and plenty strong.