PDA

View Full Version : zero fret.

john brenton
10-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Yes? No? Maybe? Depends? I've always thought they made the instrument look too modern. Any real advantage? Any thoughts from you guys?

John Coloccia
10-09-2011, 1:26 PM
I think it makes a guitar look cheap. I also don't like that it's difficult to adjust for perfect feel customized to the string gauge and style. That's just my opinion but it's an immediate turnoff to me.

Wes Grass
10-09-2011, 2:37 PM
I did a couple with it. Nice that it 'just works' once everything is leveled, but like John says, if you wanted the action a little higher you'd be in trouble. Not sure I care for the look of it either. It's just different, and not traditional.

george wilson
10-09-2011, 4:36 PM
I don't like them either. And,they always use a larger fret to make them,making the action at the nut too high. Chet Atkins saw one on the Selmer guitar that Django played,and finally got Gretsch to start using them in the early 60's,I think.

Shawn Pixley
10-16-2011, 12:34 AM
I have played some guitars with zero frets that were fine instruments. The Selmer-Maccaferris used the zero fret and my Gretch Double Anniversary plays well. But in general they do not properly intonate or have an incorrect action. When bending strings a groove in the zero fret can cause the string to jump. I have no firm opinions on the looks.