PDA

View Full Version : Wood source in Utah

Chris Barnett
10-09-2011, 6:56 AM
With Christmas coming, daughter might be needing a Utah source for turning wood. She always asks what I would want and seldom takes a risk, so thought some preplanning might do well.

John Keeton
10-09-2011, 8:34 AM
There is always Craft Supplies USA in Provo. Never been there, but would love to go!

Brian Brown
10-09-2011, 9:51 AM
Also, MacBeath Hardwood in Salt Lake City. *

Curt Fuller
10-09-2011, 11:42 AM
As John and Brian said, Craft Supplies and MacBeath's. There are a lot of turners in Utah, especially between the Salt Lake and Provo areas and they have a lot of good local sources for wood. I'd contact anyone at the http://www.utahwoodturners.org/ and see what you can come up with. Craftsupplies is a great place but they do most of their business via catalog and internet so the actual store isn't really a place you can walk into and just drool over all the beautiful wood. You can get great wood there but it's mostly a warehouse for their business. And they aren't open on weekends. MacBeaths is a huge place that supplies commercially to cabinet shops, etc and has an incredible selection of wood. They also have a specialty section that caters to woodturners and they host the meetings for the Utah club regularly. But it's a big place and can be a bit intimidating to someone that just wants to walk in and buy a piece of wood for their dad. Both places have great people to help so tell your daughter to just ask for help and either will steer them in the right direction. Also, MacBeaths is open on saturday but only until noon.

David DeCristoforo
10-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Actually, they don't have wood in Utah...

Phil Landwer
10-09-2011, 12:29 PM
When I don't have blanks of my own, I've bought from this guy on eBay. He's got some pretty big stuff, and I see he's got some unique Boxelder, and Oak right now. His ebay id: philthycollins
He seems to ship nation wide, for free.

Jerry Marcantel
10-09-2011, 3:31 PM
I would think as cold as it gets in Utah, just about any town would have a firewood supplier in it. I've also seen some decent looking trees in of some of the canyons there, and I'm sure you could find wood , especially after a good storm........Jerry (in Tucson)

John Fabre
10-09-2011, 4:30 PM
Besides Craft Supplies and MacBeath's, there's Timberline Tools, great group of people.

Wayne Hendrix
10-10-2011, 5:26 AM
I second or third, or whatever we are at now, MacBeath's, Craft Supplies and Timberline Tools. The last year Timberline has really starting to carry more turning blanks and I have gotten some nice pieces out of their bargain bin. Craft Supplies is worth going to just cause they are so nice to talk to. MacBeath's can be a little intimidating but they are used to dealing with commercial guys and are a little more hands off until you talk to them and then they are good also. One that has not been mentioned is Woodcraft also has a turning blanks, but the selection can vary from excellent to so so depending on when they got their last shipment in but it is definitely worth checking out, its usually good.

Any idea on what specifically you are looking for?

Chris Barnett
10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Nothing specific other than not common, i.e. oak, but native to the area; had read about a reddish and frequently figured wood found in the mountains, but I cannot remember the name nor find the reference in the forums. Thanks for the info.

Chris Barnett
12-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks alot for the information; been so busy, late in getting back. Was in Utah week before last on a fast-track tour of southern Utah's parks. And what a fantastic week...will be going back not only to visit daughter but see some of what I missed the other direction :). Absolutely fantastic...and I see on the morning news, Escalante-15 inches snow...bet its beautiful. Next time I will schedule time for wood interests. I did see some wood...a lot of already dried wood...dead and standing and dead and fallen. Should have taken a small sliver for a pen. She has the info on wood source so thanks very much. Have finger impressions in car's dash from Moki Dugway descent..what a hoot!:D
Chris