PDA

View Full Version : Myrtle bowl

Steve Trauthwein
10-09-2011, 6:45 AM
Hello All,

This is the first piece that I have turned from the myrtle I scored last month. It will be the last for a while, as we have finally sold our home and are Ohio bound. I thought at first that selling the house would free me up for more turning and then it dawned on me, the incredible amount of work I have to do to move in 35 days.

Regards, Steve

Nate Davey
10-09-2011, 8:39 AM
Nice looking piece Steve. Looks like you had a piece of crotch wood there. What is the finish?

John Keeton
10-09-2011, 8:43 AM
Very nice platter/bowl, Steve. Other than it is a beautiful piece of wood, it is hard to tell much about the form from the angle of the pic.

Congrats on the sale of the home - where in Ohio are you headed?

Donny Lawson
10-09-2011, 9:19 AM
I'll have to agree with John. it's nice from what I can tell but a side angle picture would tell alot more about it. Thanks for sharing. Be careful with the move.

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Steve nice looking piece and really nice wood. I would not even want to think of moving after having been here for 40 yrs.

Steve Trauthwein
10-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Here is a quick side view, on the dresser so not a great shot. We will be moving to the Cincinnati/Dayton area. We have been in this home for 30 years, so I have plenty to do to prepare. The finish is a concoction that I learned from Alan Lacer, 1/3 BLO-1/3 pure tung oil-1/3 high grade varnish. I use varmor r10 for the varnish, from my rod building days. Alan uses Behlen's rock hard table top finish.

Regards, Steve

Baxter Smith
10-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Pretty wood and finish Steve. I attended an Alan Lacer demo this past Wed night and he mentioned that was the finish he used. Looked very nice on the things he brought.

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2011, 7:41 AM
Nice looking bowl and wood! Congrats on selling your home - especially in today's market! Best of luck with the move and setting up your new shop!

Bill Walsh
10-10-2011, 8:59 AM
Steve, very nice form and figure. You'll have to display it so it show off the crotch wood. Moving, I wouldn't want to think about that. My equipment is all in the cellar. Came down the stairs one piece at a time on a dolly hooked to a come-a-long.

Tim Rinehart
10-10-2011, 9:06 AM
Nice big piece Steve...that'll hold some M&Ms.
Yea, I echo others responses on moving...especially after building up a good cache of wood!!
I hope you like the area, I grew up in Cincy (they all call it that because the word Cincinnati is too long...think Ohio version of Philly) and it has a lot going for it with cultural attractions and some well organized turning clubs from what I've gleamed off the net. OVWG just had their symposium and had some fantastic turners there.

Brian Tymchak
10-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Steve, I really like the form on that bowl. Welcome to Ohio!

Bill White
10-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I know what ya mean about the move. We've just finished up ours. What a job! Just moving the shop was a boat load of work.
Great bowl too.
Bill

Steve Knowlton
10-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Great looking Bowl. Love Myrtlewood. I was splitting firewood sunday afternoon and we were splitting a bunch of 14
' myrtle that had good color and figure. hate to burn it but i have too much wood.