PDA

View Full Version : Boston Area Visit

Thomas Canfield
02-27-2005, 10:26 PM
The LOML wants to make a trip to the Boston, MA area including Quincy, Lowell, and Rowley. She has a big interest in some of the history, and also quilting. I would like to find some woodworking type points to visit also. My interest would be in seeing some different type of woodworking supply stores ( other than Rockler, Woodcraft, and similar or the box stores) or find the major wood supplier for hobbists, etc. This will be a flying and rent car trip, limited on picking up material, but then there is always shipping.

A visit down to Sturbridge to see the old village may also be in order. It looks like driving an hour or so covers a good portion of the state.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Timing is late April.

Joe Unni
02-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Thomas,

Certainly Lowell and Lawrence have tons of history with regards to the textile industry. LOTS of old mills.

For woodworking - I just visited Brentwood Machine in Brentwood New Hampshire for the first time the other day - lots of great product. The owner spent about 45 minutes with me helping me to determine my needs for new shop space. I'd been by this place many times on the way to Highland Hardwoods also in Brentwood NH. I use them exclusively for all my lumber - great prices, selection and service. This is where "Norm" get a lot of his stuff.

These places are only about 35 minutes from the Lawrence area. Take route 495 north to route 125 north all the way into Brentwood. Brentwood machine is first - right hand side followed a little ways farther north - also on the right hand side.

Good luck and have fun.

-joe

John Carr
02-28-2005, 5:45 PM
If you're going to be in Rowley, head up Rt 1. Just north of the intersection with 133, there's a lumberyard called "Yankee Pine" on the left. As you pull in, glance to your right and you'll see a door marked either "All Righteous Woods" or "The Burl Room" (can't remember which). It's definitely worth a look. They have some AMAZING wood.
All Righteous Woods (http://www.righteouswoods.com/)

Al Lupone
02-28-2005, 6:58 PM
Don't know what your experience level is driving around this area. Just remember, IF you make eye contact with another driver, you've just allowed him to cut you off. Have fun.

Al

Thomas Canfield
02-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks Joe and John for your suggestions. Hope there will be more coming.

Al - thanks also for the driving tip. I have done some time driving up in the NY and DC area along with Houston and Dallas, and even some time in Holland and Costa Rica. Have to say that there are some areas that I refuse to drive such as Germany and France. Some parts of NY also fall in that category. Hopefully Boston is not that bad.

Tom

Carl Eyman
02-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Somebody on the creeek posted about a shop in the near western suburbs of Boston where someone had bought a building and was renting it out to ww chraftsmen. He said he spent a whole day just rubbernecking arund the place admiring what they were doing. I can't suggest any keywords to use in your search, but maybe someone else can. I know he wanted to do something of the same in the Worchester area, I think.

Lou Morrissette
02-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Somebody on the creeek posted about a shop in the near western suburbs of Boston where someone had bought a building and was renting it out to ww chraftsmen. He said he spent a whole day just rubbernecking arund the place admiring what they were doing. I can't suggest any keywords to use in your search, but maybe someone else can. I know he wanted to do something of the same in the Worchester area, I think.Tom,
That was a thread posted by Matt Dworman. I'm sure a PM to him would yield all the particulars on that place.
If you go to Lowell, be sure to take in the mill tours. In particular, check out the old hand cut oak gears used to transmit power from the canals to the mills. Pretty facinating. Your better half should realy enjoy the quilt museum also in one of the mills.
Enjoy

Lou

Lou Morrissette
02-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Tom,

A real good take less than 15 miles west of Boston is the old Schwamb frame mill. They still turn oval picture frames on one of the scarriest belt driven lathes you'll ever see!:eek: They were featured on one of "Norm's" shows a while back. They welcome visitors and are located in Arlington, Ma. Check them out at www.oldschwambmill.org (http://www.oldschwambmill.org/)

Lou

Jerry Olexa
02-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Tom, sounds like you will be mostly on North Shore of Boston. If so, you might consider flying into Manchester, N.H. and getting your rental car there as opposed to Logan in Boston. Logan, altho I've flown in there many times, is a hassle. The tunnel, getting through the city, parking, etc, etc. Manchester is like a drive in the country. I used in live in Andover, Mass and still do occassional consulting work in New England. Based on my schedule, I usually fly into Manchester or Hartford and rent car. I still love New England and will think about some additional tips for you. As u say, there you are an hour away from sports, mts., seashore, great restaurants, history, etc, etc. Enjoy your trip!!

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2005, 7:08 AM
I also vote for you to fly into Manchester...very nice airport.

Also you may want to check out the local homes that New England is famaous for...
http://www.historicnewengland.org/

Ray Bersch
03-01-2005, 9:39 AM
I'll add my voice in support of Manchester - unless your primary destination is downtown Boston. But if you plan to stay outside of Boston and make daytrips, then you will find Manchester a great alternative.

Andy London
03-01-2005, 5:43 PM
If you want to see an amazing supply of domestic and exotic hardwoods, go to All Righteous Hardwoods, they are about 1/2 hour north of Boston in Rowley....a truly amazing site to see.

Randy Figg
03-02-2005, 6:38 AM
My wife and I flew into Manchester last June for a first time visit to New England. If you can, drive to Vermont and visit Clear Lake Furniture. They have a great woodworking shop and are very friendly about showing any one the shop. We were just driving by and stopped in. www.clearlakefurniture.com

Randy

Rob Blaustein
03-02-2005, 9:43 AM
Thanks Thomas for posting this question, and thanks to all who responded with suggestions for wood suppliers within a reasonable drive from Boston. I live around Boston and have been frustrated by the lack of choice in plywood at the local HDs as well as some of the high prices (and attitudes) at some of the local places selling hardwoods, so I welcome these other options and will check them out soon.

Glenn Clabo
03-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Rob,
Have you tried Boulter Plywood? They are over in Somerville...and have/or can get just about anything.
http://www.boulterplywood.com/

Rob Blaustein
03-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Rob,
Have you tried Boulter Plywood? They are over in Somerville...and have/or can get just about anything.
http://www.boulterplywood.com/
Thanks Glenn. I haven't been there, but did notice it was highly recommended by several people in a thread just over a month ago in response to Phil Winn's request for recs for plywood suppliers around here. So it's on my list of places to visit.