View Full Version : Tablesaw problem

Dave Aronson
10-08-2011, 11:42 PM
I have a Jet contractor tablesaw and I've had three occasions now that during load when cutting thicker material the motor shuts down. I can restart the saw after it stops and maybe it will run better. The thermal override button isn't popped on the motor. Any idea on what could be going on? Do I need to replace the motor?

phil harold
10-09-2011, 8:50 AM
blow out the motor with air
make sure you have a sharp blade
slow your feed rate to handle the thickness

it may be time to upgrade your saw or motor
What horse power is it now?
how thick of wood?

Tim Morton
10-09-2011, 9:08 AM
You mean the motor just stops? No breakers being tripped?

Rich Engelhardt
10-09-2011, 9:10 AM
If your running 110V..
In addition to the above, check your circuit and make sure the saw is the only thing on it.

My Hitachi job site saw and my Coleman 3.5HP compressor would balk a lot when I ran them on a circuit that had other devices plugged in and only occasionaly trip the reset or trip the breaker.

I could stall the Hitachi w/out tripping the breaker or the reset exactlly as you describe by cutting wet treated lumber on rare occasions also.

I got rid of the Hitachi but still have the Coleman compressor & have since upgraded my garage w/a sub panel and all 20 amp circuits.
The compressor is a lot happier now. You can tell by the sound of it.
While I never had any problems with my Ridgid TS3660 running it on the 110 V 15 amp circuit that bothered the Hitachi and the compressor, it too seems a lot happier on a dedicated 110V 20 amp circuit.

scott spencer
10-09-2011, 9:21 AM
You didn't say what blade you're using, but you'd be best off with a 24T FTG thin kerf ripper on that saw when ripping thick materials.

Bill White
10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
You're not using an extension cord are ya'?
Bill

Dave Aronson
10-09-2011, 1:02 PM
It is a 10" Jet contractor saw, I think it is a 1.5HP. I was doing a 2" cut with a Freud thin kerf blade. Today I used it for 10 cuts at the same depth and had no problems....

on 110v with and extension cord 12Ga.

I'd like to upgrade to the grizzly hybrid saw but my wife would kill me.

Bill White
10-09-2011, 2:59 PM
I'm using my Grizz 0444Z on 220V with a 12/3 6' extension. Have not had any probs with the set up. Sounds like you're getting some voltage drop? You didn't say how long the extension is.
Bill

Dave Aronson
10-09-2011, 6:39 PM
Do you think it would help to convert it to 220v? I have that run but haven't converted the tablesaw yet.

The extension cord is 12'.