PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi Segmented Bowl

Dave Masters
10-08-2011, 9:40 PM

This bowl is composed of roughly 400 individual pieces, mostly Kiwi, but also ash, walnut, bloodwood, and something else that I've forgotten. CC appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Dave that is a nice looking piece. Nice form and finish.

Joe Watson
10-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Tight glue lines !
I put a 22x22 master bedroom (wood shop in basement) on my place three years ago, still need to do alot of finishing touches, a big version of this would make for a great master-bathroom "garbage can" - open the base up alittle, about 12" tall - thanks for the idea :)

Russell Neyman
10-08-2011, 11:41 PM
If any of you are in the Puget Sound area, stopping by to see Dave's segmented process is a must. It's truly remarkable. He has sanding jigs set up for every possible combination of segments, and assembles the bowls with machinist's precision. He uses Titebond III, and even on his lighter woods, you still can't see the gluelines.

Proud to say that he's my friend.

John Keeton
10-09-2011, 8:47 AM
Kudos for the joinery and form!! Very nice work. As Russell and Joe noted - TIGHT!

phil harold
10-09-2011, 8:52 AM
That looks real good!

Jim Burr
10-09-2011, 9:14 AM
You segmented guys amaze me!! Beautiful work Dave. I want to try some Kiwi on of these days...how was it to turn?

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Dave, nice job. Perhaps more impressive than the tightness of the joints is the accurate vertical alignment of all the components. I've never worked with Kiwi - nice wood. Is this from the fruit tree?

David E Keller
10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Nicely done and welcome! That kiwi is pretty stuff... First I've seen of it.

Dan Cannon
10-09-2011, 7:23 PM
Very nice! I like the combination of woods and how they're worked into the design. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum!
Dan

jeff vanek
10-09-2011, 9:02 PM
beautiful!

Baxter Smith
10-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Very pretty wood combination and since I can't see half the joints, it must be pretty well done!!

Michelle Rich
10-10-2011, 6:42 AM
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. Glad to see another segmenter here. it gets lonely! Pretty piece. Hope you share more.

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2011, 8:01 AM
Dave - Welcome to the Creek! Excellent intro post! Beautiful work! Looking at the thumbnail of the piece - I thought it was an open segmented form! Nice illusion! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

neil mackay
10-10-2011, 9:27 AM
OK I'll ask, what is kiwi? I take it,its from New Zealand.

Brian Tymchak
10-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Tight glue lines !
I put a 22x22 master bedroom (wood shop in basement) on my place three years ago, still need to do alot of finishing touches, a big version of this would make for a great master-bathroom "garbage can" - open the base up alittle, about 12" tall - thanks for the idea :)

Was thinking of doing this very thing in oak staves with some left-over oak flooring.

Dave Masters
10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
The wonderful feedback is very much appreciated. Responding to some of the questions: the wood was purchased from a local wood supplies (The Board Hoarder, Kirkland WA) as simply "kiwi" so we can assume it's the fruit tree; and the size of the bowl is 6.5 inches tall and 9.75 inches at widest diameter.

There are six rings and the individual segments were beveled at 15 degrees. The vertical pieces are 90-degree cuts, so that those segments look the same inside and out.

Bill Bukovec
10-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Can you posts photos and descriptions of your sanding jigs set ups?

Very nice work!

Bill

Russell Neyman
10-10-2011, 1:50 PM
My good friend and neighbor, Dave Masters, isn't very proficient (or patient) with this sort of technology, but I will try to take photos and upload them. It may take a week or two, though.

Robert McGowen
10-10-2011, 4:19 PM
Like Steve said, I also thought that it was an open segmented bowl when I first looked at it. Nice work!

neil mackay
10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
as simply "kiwi" so we can assume it's the fruit tree; and the size of the bowl is 6.5 inches tall and 9.75 inches at widest diameter.
]

Hmm,:confused: dunno the Kiwi fruit is from a vine not unlike the grape. It would have to be some real ancient vine to have a real wood.

Russell Neyman
10-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Hmm,:confused: dunno the Kiwi fruit is from a vine not unlike the grape. It would have to be some real ancient vine to have a real wood.

Neil has a point. Sometimes a wood is nicknamed and we don't really know what it is. Case in point is "ivory nut" which is actually Taqua nut; looks like ivory, but it's actually a white nut. This might be a nickname that The Board Hoarder gave for something from Australia or New Zealand. I had that same thing happen with eucalyptus. He called it "eucalyptus" but it was actually red gum.

Dave Masters
10-11-2011, 3:09 PM
Great wood to turn. I was told it was from a Kiwi fruit tree, I get most of my wood from a wood recycler. He is a stay at home Dad and this is his hobby as well turning a buck. He belongs to a regional wood recycling group. Found him via the internet