PDA

View Full Version : Cracked cherry bowl

Josh Bowman
10-08-2011, 9:27 PM
This is the largest of a cored cherry crotch, that I roughed out last year. It's about 9"x4" and buffed and waxed. It had a cracked at the rim that was working its way to the base, so I tried epoxy with acrylic paint and brass filings. Not sure the black works for me, but like how it saved an otherwise lost bowl. As always, C&C welcomed.

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2011, 9:31 PM
Nice bowl with a simple form. I like it and a great save.

John Keeton
10-09-2011, 8:36 AM
Josh, looks like that crack came right out of the pith. I think the "save" looks fine. A little brown mixed with the black might soften the look a little for the next one you do. Beautiful wood and great form!

Rich Aldrich
10-09-2011, 8:39 AM
Josh - Nice save and a nice bowl. You have given me some confidence to finish a couple of roughed out cherry bowls that have cracks.

Josh Bowman
10-09-2011, 9:25 AM
Josh, looks like that crack came right out of the pith. I think the "save" looks fine. A little brown mixed with the black might soften the look a little for the next one you do. Beautiful wood and great form!
Brown.....that's what it's missing! I am absolutely color ignorant. I can tell you I don't like a color combo, but don't have a clue how to match it. Thanks John.

Michelle Rich
10-09-2011, 9:28 AM
good save & pretty bowl. nice shape. next time, so the repair is not so glaring..save your sanding dust & mix with glue..or use turquoise or brass filings...get creative!

Dave Ogren
10-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Great Save!! I like it. Last week I fed a 15" dia. bowl cherry to my smoker. I have a question but I will put it in a new post

Phil Landwer
10-09-2011, 12:32 PM
good save & pretty bowl. nice shape. next time, so the repair is not so glaring..save your sanding dust & mix with glue..or use turquoise or brass filings...get creative!

Nice ideas....

Baxter Smith
10-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Pretty wood and shape Josh. I am not much on patches though. They look too much like them.:)

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2011, 7:46 AM
Josh - congrats on being able to save this bowl! Everyone has their favorite way of patching cracks and voids - so there are lots of options. Personally, I use CA and sanding dust from the bowl to give me a close match.... or clear epoxy with bronze powder when I want a stark contrast. Just play around with it and don't worry to much ... the bowl was cracked before the patch anyway!

While the black is a vivid contrast at this point, it will mellow as the cherry darkens! Looking forward to your next turning!

Tom Winship
10-10-2011, 8:40 AM
Josh, congratulations on the save. I have done some flatwork with mesquite and it is nearly impossible to find a board without some flaw. I fill with expoxy and Behlens' color in black. I think it gives it character.

Prashun Patel
10-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Josh-
Nice save! I'm in the process of rescuing a couple myself...

Personally, I don't think it much matters whether you use brown, black or turquoise. IMHO, fixes look best when they constrast - not try to match.

Next time, though, you might try turning away a little more after the epoxy/ca/filler dries. I think yr fill might be even more appealing if it's just in the cracks, as thin as possible, and not in the surrounding wood.