PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Dogwood "Plate"???

Nate Davey
10-08-2011, 9:21 PM
At our guild meeting this week, the young kid who brings wood had a plank of spalted dogwood everyone passed on. So, for $5 I picked it up. The spalt is beautiful, but it was also pretty pithy. Any more pithy and I would have punted and sent it to Alan Trout. I've wanted to do and interrupted ring foot on a bowl and have ripples, like when you through a stone in the water, coming out around the bowl. So, that's what I did. Used a lot of Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer to hold the punky stuff together, sanded to 400 then 2 coats of sanding sealer again, sanded at 600 between coats, then several coats of Deft Satin Brushing Lacquer. Once it dried, I sanded the whole thing with 4000 MM to knock any sheen off and just show the wood. Candid comments and criticism appreciated.

charlie knighton
10-08-2011, 9:32 PM
interesting, thanks for sharing

Lee Koepke
10-08-2011, 9:39 PM
If you get tired of it being a 'plate', you could put a clock movement on the back and some simple black hands and you got a very interesting wall clock.

I am with ya, when I see wood with that kind of character, you just HAVE to do something with it, and I do like the ripple effect, very unique.

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Interesting piece Nate. Unique piece for sure.

John Keeton
10-09-2011, 8:38 AM
Nate, I bet a light application of dye would have really brought out those spalt lines! Neat piece.