PDA

View Full Version : Can you tile an image after photograv?

Joe Kace
10-08-2011, 8:54 PM
Hello,

I have a photo that I ran through photograv, after that I brought it into Corel x14 to tile it . This is where I'm lost, I have tried power clip, snap to, this and the other ( see the frustration ) I have watched a video and read laser tile's technical tips. I am just lost.. I am hoping I don't have to tile it then send each one to photograv.

Joe

Kasey Maxwell
10-08-2011, 9:25 PM
couldn't you just select table from the top drop down and create new table then convert it to curves ?

Might work :)

Joe Kace
10-08-2011, 9:28 PM
You can't take a photograv pic and convert to curves, I just tried. I am trying to create a 30 x 17.25 mural on lasertile.

Kasey Maxwell
10-08-2011, 9:38 PM
you want tile boxes the same size as the tiles right? count how many tiles then make a table the same size then convert the table to curves and place the photograv image into it, forgive me if im misunderstanding your project, I have used tables to create square or rectangle templates before.......

Kasey Maxwell
10-08-2011, 9:43 PM
like this
then convert the table to curves

Joe Kace
10-08-2011, 9:45 PM
Kasey,
I made the table, converted to curves and imported the PG pic and the lines disappeared. How do you separate the boxes with parts of the photo in them?
Joe

Kasey Maxwell
10-08-2011, 9:51 PM
right click on it and select order, either move the photo to back or move the lines to the front

Joe Kace
10-08-2011, 9:57 PM
Once I have that done how do I separate them? I have the lines to the front over the photo, now is there a grouping or something snap to ?? So lost. I appreciate the time.

Kasey Maxwell
10-08-2011, 10:00 PM
if your new to corel then you should make "object manager" your friend :) there you can make layers, I use it to make 2 layers "print" and "no print" so if im working on lots of graphics and only want to print certain ones I can move the ones i need to the "print" layer........makes life easier :)

Kasey Maxwell
10-08-2011, 10:06 PM
ungroup them if there not already, then you can use the "shape tool" just below the pick tool to add nodes, right click on a line and ADD then right click and break at least 2 apart then you can select the pick tool and right click on it and select break curve apart then with the shape tool you can grab the triangles and move them or delete them.........good sources for corel help is actually on youtube :)

Anthony Welch
10-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I've always made my tiles, grouped them, then power clip to group, ungroup and then you have your individual tiles.

Anthony

Tim Bateson
10-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Skip PhotoGrav.

Kasey Maxwell
10-09-2011, 2:54 PM
Skip PhotoGrav.

is photograv a bad program, is it easier to use photoshop or corel photo, if so whats the tool to use ?

Joe Kace
10-09-2011, 4:33 PM
I like Photograv a lot, it took some time getting adjusted to how it thinks and what it will produce. I managed to group the grid and photo together then I cropped out what I could fit on my bed, then went back and cropped the rest and moved it to the top and this was the final outcome.209620

Martin Boekers
10-09-2011, 9:42 PM
I may have misunderstood what you mean by tiling. It is an easy process
as Anthony stated. If you are having an issue with the lines engraving make
them a hairline.

Once you have the image "Power Clipped" You can right click and perform editing
for positioning, try to stay away from sizing though PG don't like that.

Roy Brewer has some great videos on "halftoning" an image in Corel. Quick and easy
I posted the link here a few time, but a quick search of YouTube will bring it up.

I do alot of tile projects with Dye-Sub so I need to break them apart for the transfer,
so don't be afraid to try larger murals and send them a section at a time. I large mural
can be impressive.

I use PG a fair amount and get acceptable results. Some like PG and some don't.
The Corel halftone is nice and I have used that a bit on more detailed images.

Joe Kace
10-09-2011, 9:52 PM
I wasn't able to power clip the Photograv image, this was where I was stuck. I am going to play with this a little more, since this was my first time doing something like this.

Martin Boekers
10-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I haven't tried to PC a 1bit image, not sure why it shouldn't work.
I'll try it when I get to work tomorrow. Did you try to just do it with one
box to see if that works? If you do it for a layout of boxes you have to
make sure the the boxes all are touching each other and are grouped together.
Maybe that could be an issue?

Joe Kace
10-10-2011, 6:25 AM
On images before PG it works, after it doesn't want to do it. It tells me that the file is invalid to PC. I would hate to have 30 tiles separated and take each one back into PG.

Martin Boekers
10-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I believe I told you wrong. You need to select all the tile outines and combine them, NOT group them.
I tried this and it does work. The invalid message you got was for the "container" not the image.
Give that a shot. Remember it might not be positioned correctly, so you may need to right click on it
and select edit image. When done right click again and select finish editing at this level. Then go under arrange
drop down and select break apart. This should get you where you want to go.

Chuck Stone
10-10-2011, 5:38 PM
THe image looks great, Joe. What kind of tile is that?

Joe Kace
10-10-2011, 5:40 PM
It's called lasertile. You can goggle the name and check them out. They are also on facebook.

bryan henderson
10-12-2011, 2:37 PM
This seems like a much better way to break apart a picture for tiling

http://coreldrawtips.com/site/printing-tile-images-in-coreldraw

Martin Boekers
10-12-2011, 3:07 PM
This seems like a much better way to break apart a picture for tiling

http://coreldrawtips.com/site/printing-tile-images-in-coreldraw

That is an interesting way to set up a tiling. How do you set up a particular size of the square?