PDA

View Full Version : My New Beauty

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2011, 8:50 PM
Here's the Reader’s Digest version:

I drove down and picked up my lathe at the Robust factory on Thursday, Oct 6, 2011. Had a great time talking with Brent English (owner) and meeting his very talented employees! After checking out the lathe, Brent disassembled it into smaller ‘manageable’ pieces because he knew that I was going to haul everything to my basement shop by myself.

Got home Thursday evening and was way too tired to even think about moving the lathe, so waited until Friday.

On Friday I hauled everything, except the lathe bed, to my shop and then my nephew and a couple of his friends stopped over to help with the bed. Seriously, even with four of us carrying the bed, it was still heavy!

Got everything put back together and fully operational, adjusted the spindle height, balanced the machine and waxed the ways before calling it a day! At that point I was beginning to feel my age!

209560 209561 209562

Today, Saturday, I just had to see this lathe in action, so grabbed a dry bowl blank and threw it on the lathe. All I can say is WOW! Now this is a lathe!

209563 209564

Thanks for looking!!

Baxter Smith
10-08-2011, 8:53 PM
:)Awesome, just awesome!:)

Josh Bowman
10-08-2011, 8:54 PM
Steve,
Fantastic!!! Glad it went in ok. I can just imagine how hard it must have been to get down those steps. Can't wait to see more stuff from it. The black looks cool, btw.

Steve Kennedy
10-08-2011, 8:58 PM
That is a lot of lathe!! Enjoy!

John Keeton
10-08-2011, 9:02 PM
Ohhhhh, man - you got it dirty!!!!!:eek: If I owned a lathe like that, I think I would have to have one of those "roped off" white glove areas, and make shavings on that ol' 1642!!

Sure looks great sitting there, Steve. Glad you got it downstairs without injury - to you or the lathe.

Jim Burr
10-08-2011, 9:08 PM
Oh boy...here we go!!! Let's see where this one takes us!!

Nate Davey
10-08-2011, 9:15 PM
Congratulations Steve. What a spectacular lathe. Please give us regular feedback as to how you like it. It's at the top of my "Dream Lathe" list.

Marty Eargle
10-08-2011, 9:18 PM
Amazing. It's so beautiful...but will look better with only the top few inches showing out of a mountain of shavings.

Doug W Swanson
10-08-2011, 9:23 PM
Very cool, Steve! One of these years I'll upgrade to something similar. That one should last you a while....

Steve Campbell
10-08-2011, 9:24 PM
Congratulations on finally getting your beauty. I don't know how you managed to wait that long for it. It sure would be my dream lathe if I could ever afford it. Hope you have fun. Can't wait to see what comes off of it.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2011, 9:26 PM
Congrats Steve on a fine lathe.

charlie knighton
10-08-2011, 9:30 PM
congratulations Steve, June to October....i know its has been hard....enjoy

Rich Aldrich
10-08-2011, 9:32 PM
Steve - Congrats! It sure looks nice. It had to be a lot of work getting it in the basement even in pieces.

Bob Bergstrom
10-08-2011, 9:38 PM
This is when you wish you could have a lathe party, invite all your woodturning buddies and have a "Turnathon", and then say to yourself " I get to turn on this the rest of my life". Enjoy it Steve it looks great.

David DeCristoforo
10-08-2011, 9:43 PM
Now that's what I call a beauty! What a nice machine. Only thing is... what is that on the floor? It looks an awfully lot like a rug! Please tell me you don't have a rug in your shop!

Roger Chandler
10-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Congrats Steve...........that is a truly nice machine! I was also wondering about the carpet on the floor.........must be kinda hard getting all the curlees up!

Looking forward to seeing some of your first rate work off it...............now you can make a really big hollow form! How about a 20 inch diameter by about 3ft high...........:D

I'm wonderin' about a certain ponytail wearin' lawyer from a certain blue grass state..................will he ride up to the U.P. and give yours a spin? Might be the little puff of wind that knocks him over! ;):D:rolleyes:

Hayes Rutherford
10-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Wow!! Way to go!!

Alan Trout
10-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Congratulations,

I knew you would enjoy it.

Alan

Bill Bolen
10-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Congrats Steve. You two deserve each other! Looking forward to lots of new HF's, bowls ect. Bet you had a good time with Brent picking her up. I hear he is a great guy.

John M. Smith
10-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Congrats. Can't wait to see what you make on her.

Sid Matheny
10-08-2011, 10:47 PM
A long wait but well worth it! Looks great.

Sid

Joe Adams
10-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Congratulations! She's a beauty.

Curt Fuller
10-08-2011, 11:45 PM
You lucky dog!!!

Jeff Fagen
10-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Yer livin' the dream now Steve!!...how do you keep that carpet clean???

John Beaver
10-09-2011, 1:17 AM
Sweeeeeeet!!! Love the "made in USA" sticker.

Tim Leiter
10-09-2011, 1:20 AM
That's a great looking lathe Steve. So glad you got it down to the shop without serious damage. I have a very simple question. I don't want to start a new thread, nor do I want to do a search or ask the question and get a thousand different answers. I just pickup up a Shopsmith 10er, (actually a 10e and a 10er) and have it nearly refurbished. I just want to know what kind of wax is considered good to put on the ways. (I have two other lathes but I have never applied wax to any of them. But I thought this would be a good time to start).
I am sure it makes sliding the parts around easier on a waxed lathe.
Thanks in advance for a simple answer to my simple question. Have a great day, Steve. And have fun on that new beauty. Tim.

Reed Gray
10-09-2011, 3:09 AM
Ditto what David said. Is that really carpet on the floor????????

Norm Zax
10-09-2011, 4:10 AM
Isnt that the Jet just repainted black? Just kidding of course. A big congrats! Enjoy!

Richard Jones
10-09-2011, 4:54 AM
That beauty is a beast of a lathe, here's hoping you get to spend lots of time with it.

I tried to post earlier, but was forced to stop and clean up the drool outta my keyboard..............

Maybe you could offer tours for those of us less fortunate..............:D

Rich

Richard Kennedy UK
10-09-2011, 5:32 AM
CARPET?????????????????????????? WOW I almost missed the lathe.......... only Kidding it looks great but carpet wow! Thats a first for me.................

Must have a good vac thats all I can say either that or you have taken new lathe protection and care to a whole new level!

Bill Bulloch
10-09-2011, 7:51 AM
Now that's what I call a beauty! What a nice machine. Only thing is... what is that on the floor? It looks an awfully lot like a rug! Please tell me you don't have a rug in your shop!

Ofcourse he has a rug.....you wouldn't expect him to put something that nice on a dirty old concrete floor would you?

Nice buy there Steve. I'm saving my pennies.

philip labre
10-09-2011, 8:12 AM
Congratulations Steve!!! Looks like it was well worth the wait. I will have to stop by and check that beauty out this winter.

Paul Heely
10-09-2011, 8:25 AM
Congratulations Steve. Can't wait to see the work that comes off this lathe.

James Combs
10-09-2011, 8:34 AM
Congrats Steve on a great USA product. BTW I am curious as to what you keep in the butter/cottage-cheese containers at the left of the lathe?

Dick Wilson
10-09-2011, 8:37 AM

David, after looking at the lathe the rug is the first thing I noticed. I have never seen a shop or lathe area with a wall to wall carpet:confused::confused:. Steve, tell me it is an illusion:eek::eek:

phil harold
10-09-2011, 8:40 AM
I am green with envy!

nice lathe with carpeting

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2011, 8:49 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I appreciate being able to share my good fortune with my friends!

Tim - I have a can of SC Johnsons paste wax that I bought when first starting out. I still have 1/3 of a can left and it is cheap and works great! You do have to reapply often when you turn green wood however and some folks have used other products to combat that moisture problem!

Phil - you know where I live! Stop in any time.

Glad everyone likes the wall-to-wall carpet in my shop! You guys don't have carpet? Sure makes standing for long periods of time a lot more comfortable! Clean up is no big deal. Sweep most of the shavings up and then run a shop-vac to get the rest. Stop in... I can show you how easy and fun shop clean-up can be!

Tony De Masi
10-09-2011, 8:50 AM
Congrats Steve. Great purchase.

Pete Jordan
10-09-2011, 9:01 AM
Wow Steve!
I forgot about your waiting period. That is incredible! Enjoy every minute like I know you will.

I can't believe these out-of-towners have never seen an Upper Peninsula rainbow tree hardwood floor before.

Richard Jones
10-09-2011, 9:14 AM
Congrats Steve on a great USA product. BTW I am curious as to what you keep in the butter/cottage-cheese containers at the left of the lathe?

James,

I believe they're sanding discs.

The carpet reminded me of Clint Eastwood's serape in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Coincidence? I think not. Just sayin'.......

Rich

Lee Koepke
10-09-2011, 9:20 AM
A very nice reward to yourself! I am now officially creating a Robust Box, hopefully by the time its full, my abilities will warrant it!

Michelle Rich
10-09-2011, 9:32 AM
you have single handedly improved the economy of the US...zowie!

Matt Hutchinson
10-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Awesome! I can't wait to see what kind of massive outboard turnings you be producing now that you have the swing and HP. :D Very cool Steve!!

Hutch

David DeCristoforo
10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
"You guys don't have carpet?"

(shudder) My blood runs cold. Wall to wall carpet? Clean white walls? In your shop? What is the world coming to? Lord have mercy....

Harvey Ghesser
10-09-2011, 1:30 PM
A big congrats to you, Steve! May your new lathe serve you well!

alex carey
10-09-2011, 1:40 PM
bout time steve! she is pretty. No doubt you'll create a lot of fine pieces on her.

ray hampton
10-09-2011, 2:44 PM
this is too good to be true but it do look real except for one defect, it is not mine, will you explain the two switch boxes on the right -end of the lathe ? [ did I count 6 switches or more ]

Scott Hackler
10-09-2011, 2:44 PM
Most excellent purchase Steve. I envy your new lathe. Brent makes one of the best (if not the very best) lathe out there. The only other one I wouldn't mind having would be ole Norm's home made concrete lathe!

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2011, 3:34 PM
Ray - there is only one switch box for the lathe and it is located on the end of that green power cord. The 3 switches control speed (top position), direction (mid) and stop - which is the bottom red switch.

If you are referring to the extreme end of the lathe, what you are seeing is the tailstock swing-away device - without the tailstock on it.

Jack Mincey
10-09-2011, 4:10 PM
Great looking lathe Steve it should prove to handle any thing you are able to put between centers.
Happy Turning,
Jack

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-09-2011, 5:07 PM
Steve,
I hope you enjoy the Beauty for many years years to come. I'll look forward to seeing the wonderful turnings you will make.
faust

Keith E Byrd
10-09-2011, 5:14 PM
Awesome lathe - congratulations!! Is that really carpet?

Gerold Griffin
10-09-2011, 5:22 PM
Congratulations Steve!! Glad to see you finally got it in.

ray hampton
10-09-2011, 5:27 PM
Ray - there is only one switch box for the lathe and it is located on the end of that green power cord. The 3 switches control speed (top position), direction (mid) and stop - which is the bottom red switch.

If you are referring to the extreme end of the lathe, what you are seeing is the tailstock swing-away device - without the tailstock on it.

tail stock swing-away device, this sound better , thanks

Harry Robinette
10-09-2011, 6:49 PM
Well congrats on the new one but sense it's bigger does that mean bigger turnings to come, I hope so. Now I have to say it CARPET :eek: You could at lest get some rubber mats for around it.

Ed Morgano
10-09-2011, 7:29 PM
Well, I'm way too late to mention the carpet I see. So, I won't mention it. Congratulations on the lathe.....drool, drool. Looking forard to see the work coming from your new toy.

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2011, 7:39 PM
Man... all this about the carpet.... if you guys haven't tried it, seriously, you are missing a huge level of comfort while turning!!

Lee Koepke
10-09-2011, 8:23 PM
Man... all this about the carpet.... if you guys haven't tried it, seriously, you are missing a huge level of comfort while turning!! fair enough, it does sound like a good idea, just havent really considered it (yet) .... oh, and is that a dry erase board behind the lathe? :D

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2011, 8:28 PM
Lee - actually I have a 4 x 8 sheet of melamine on the wall behind both the Robust and Jet lathes. Huge expense at about $8 a sheet but works great at reflecting light and also works well as a dry erase board!

Kathy Marshall
10-09-2011, 8:33 PM
Congrats on that lovely piece of machinery Steve!

Jamie Donaldson
10-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Congrats on the new Beauty Steve, but wait a minute here, you're a slave to an old habit. Why wax a SS lathe bed when wax has very little water barrier affect?

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Jamie - just so the bed has a slight lube for the banjo and tailstock. But you're right... old habit!

Keith Outten
10-10-2011, 7:08 AM
Congratulations Steve, its a beauty!

Tim Rinehart
10-10-2011, 8:35 AM
Steve, congrats on your new lathe and may it serve you well, as I expect it will. Look forward to your first creations on it.

Bill Walsh
10-10-2011, 8:46 AM
Top shelf Steve, Its was a long wait but I'm sure it was worth it. I see you got the tailstock swing away option. The basement shop explains the carpet on the floor. The flatwork side of my basement shop has carpet too.
I'm sure you can't wait to get some hours on it!!!

Don Geiger
10-10-2011, 8:56 AM
Hi Steve:

Glad to hear you've got the AB all set up and using it. I enjoyed meeting you in St. Paul.

Don Geiger

Ken Fitzgerald
10-10-2011, 9:46 AM
Extremely nice lathe Steve! Congratulations!

Carpet and a curtain to hide it behind too?

George Morris
10-10-2011, 9:59 AM
Congrats that is a beauty! Great lathe! G

gary Zimmel
10-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Congrats on the new beauty Steve.

Don Orr
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
That'll do nicely Steve ! Enjoy.

Matt Owen
10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
When you tire of it, please call me. I'll be more than happy to haul it away.:D

Congratulations!

Russell Eaton
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Steve I had to take a fist full of Advil just thinking of moving that heavy thing down a flight of stairs. I thank God for a boat door in my basement. That is one sweet lathe. I guess there will be no further gloats about lathes for yourself.

Bill White
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Trade ya!!!!! Ha!
Good on you.
Bill

David DeCristoforo
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
"Man... all this about the carpet.... "

Well I'll tell you this... If I had to have carpet to have a lathe like that, carpet it would be!

Rob Cunningham
10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Congratulations Steve, that's a fantastic looking lathe. Glad you got it in the basement without any mishaps.

Hilel Salomon
10-11-2011, 9:39 AM
Congratulations Steve,

Now that we've had a messy shop contest, it's time for us to have a neat, organized shop contest. I think that you and John Keeton should be the first entries, but you'll both scare all the others away. Wow!!!!

Hilel

Brian Kincaid
10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Is this the tool collectors dream... or nightmare?

Can a tool collector be satisfied when he/she attains the most amazing machinery available?

Steve, I'm not accusing, just taking everyone for a introspective ride...

Also, Steve, please post the unabridged version so we can all live your experience vicariously :)

-Brian

Barry Richardson
10-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Aw man! That's my dream lathe! With the tilt away tail stock too! Your fortunate to live close to where they're made. I'm sure shipping would be a chunk of money. Expect to see all your work "bigger and better" now, it thats possible..

Greg Bender
10-12-2011, 8:10 PM
Steve,
congrats on one mother of an upgrade. Seems to be a great match to your abilities.Hopefully you will post your opinion on the performance of the lathe and show what you make as well. Allways enjoy seeing what your up to.I have a question about the AB, was it difficult to level as it does not seem to have any "leveling feet" like our 16/42 does. Well ,I hope you push it to its creative edge and enjoy those monster HF's !!!
Greg

Steve Schlumpf
10-12-2011, 8:25 PM
Greg - each leg can be moved independently and while not as quick to level as the Jet, I didn't have a problem.

Rex Guinn
10-13-2011, 9:13 AM
Steve that is quite a machine, now we have to see some of your great work getting larger and better. Hope you enjoy using it, I know I would. So if you don't send it to KY.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-13-2011, 9:23 AM
Great purchase Steve. I hope it's everything to you that I told you it would be. As you know from our talk at the AAW symposium this summer I regularly turn on this same lathe. Although it's not mine I have turned a number of large pieces some up to 450 plus lbs on it. It's handled them flawlessly. I can't wait to see some Large pieces coming off your.

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
You can see from this thread, where the heart really lies. It's all supposed to be about the work and the wood and all that crap. But let a guy get a new lathe and, holy smokes! 2500 views and over 80 replies! Keeton's new Jet created almost the same level if activity. But I don't recall any threads about something made on the lathe ever generating this much excitement!

Scott Hackler
10-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Its called tool envy! :)

Eugene Malone
10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Steve, may your turnings be as good as they always are, and may your enjoyment be increased a thousand fold. Have many great years together.
REgards Eugene

Jon Prouty
10-13-2011, 1:57 PM
Steve, are we going to get the rest of the pictures from pick up, loading, pics of the Robust facility, unloading at your place, breakdown and setup? If you are like me, you have pics of the whole process and I for one would like to see the other pics. :). JP

Roland Martin
10-17-2011, 9:52 PM
WOW!!!, now that's a trully gorgeous piece of work, congratulations on a well deserved upgrade.

Scott Hackler
10-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I just thought of something. Steve, how exactly are you planning on bringing that GIANT log into the basement for a real workout on that lathe? :)

Steve Schlumpf
10-18-2011, 7:31 AM
How exactly? I haven't a clue! Keeps things exciting!

I am somewhat concerned over how to dry larger pieces. So far, most of my turnings have been in the 8" to 10" diameter and I can submerge them in DNA (denatured alcohol) after roughing. Seems like it would take a whole bunch more DNA than I normally have on hand to follow the same routine with large turnings. Oh well, will figure that out when the opportunity presents itself! Meanwhile I have been busy finishing bowl rough-outs from 2008! Now that is some dry maple!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-18-2011, 10:17 AM
How exactly? I haven't a clue! Keeps things exciting
I am somewhat concerned over how to dry larger pieces. So far, most of my turnings have been in the 8" to 10" diameter and I can submerge them in DNA (denatured alcohol) after roughing. Seems like it would take a whole bunch more DNA than I normally have on hand to follow the same routine with large turnings. Oh well, will figure that out when the opportunity presents itself! Meanwhile I have been busy finishing bowl rough-outs from 2008! Now that is some dry maple!!
Steve as you know I'm no stranger to large turnings & have had great success in air dying them. I have a process that I follow that works well for me. One the of big differences is you have to have patience and time. I've had several piece take about a year to air dry. If you have any questions on my drying process feel free to email me.

Joshua Dinerstein
10-21-2011, 5:02 PM
Wow. That is an amazing lathe. Congrats on a fantastic upgrade!

Joshua

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2011, 5:09 PM
Thanks Josh! When you decide to upgrade from your Powermatic.... you should check these out! I have to admit - it is a blast turning on it!

glenn bradley
10-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't even turn and that Robust is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

David Newson
10-23-2011, 2:03 PM
Thanks Josh! When you decide to upgrade from your Powermatic.... you should check these out! I have to admit - it is a blast turning on it! Hi Steve That's a real nice lathe, I can see you are getting it covered in dust and shavings already look forward to seeing your work, did you clean your workshop up for the photo shoot and put carpet down or is it always that clean I'm just joking, my workshop was only that clean and tidy when it was first built, enjoy your big Beauty and keep on turning.

Seth Poorman
10-26-2011, 2:30 PM
Wow !! Congrats to you Steve , That really is a beautiful lathe, and made in america to boot !!
I love american made woodworking tools, If I didnt have my powermatic I would get one like yours..:).....Seth..

Rick Markham
10-31-2011, 3:49 AM
I don't know how I managed to miss this post. Congrats Steve!!!! I'm glad it finally got there... what a beautiful machine! I'm sure you love it. Well deserved my friend and congratulations!!!

Prashun Patel
10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Steve-
Would you mind posting a review of this lathe?

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Prashun - not at all but first I need to put in some time turning on it. So far I have only turned 4 super dry Maple bowls that I had roughed out back in 2008, roughed out one piece of green White Birch and hope to do my first hollow form (green) sometime this week. I can tell you that the lathe has been an absolute joy to use!

Prashun Patel
10-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks. I've got a lot invested into my midi Delta 46-460, but am already thinking about my next lathe...

Having just turned 40, I think instead of a midlife crisis Porsche, I might want something a bit more 'Robust'. So, the big question is does your lathe make you a hit with younger ladies?

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2011, 5:05 PM
Well, it's been a big hit with my two granddaughters! They like just about everything that comes off the lathe!