PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stronghold Runout

Noah Barfield
10-08-2011, 7:36 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newb who could really use some help. I have a new Jet 1642-2 and just mounted a brand new Stronghold chuck & spindle adapter yesterday. I followed the installation instructions to a "T," counting and alternating turns between the two securing bolts. Even with this attention to detail, however, I'm noticing significant runout with the chuck on. I don't have a way of measuring this (a dial gauge), I'm just eyeballing it right now. My Don Pencil faceplate doesn't wobble, but the Stronghold does.

One thing I noticed when assembling the chuck from the box last night is that the adapter (it's a Oneway 1 1/4 8tpi that I ordered with the chuck) doesn't mount flush with the chuck itself. In other words, when I have everything tightened down, I can still see screw threads in a ~2mm gap between the spindle and the chuck.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Noah

Nathan Hawkes
10-08-2011, 9:06 PM
I had to whack mine with a large hammer to get the adapter flush.

charlie knighton
10-08-2011, 9:43 PM
In other words, when I have everything tightened down, I can still see screw threads in a ~2mm gap between the spindle and the chuck.

call tech support

Paul Heely
10-09-2011, 7:26 AM
Ditto what Charlie said. I've had a couple of problems with One Way stuff over the years and a quick phone call always resolved the problems for me.

terry mccammon
10-10-2011, 6:06 PM
Within the last year or so there were spindle adapters for a different chuck that were not actually vended by the chuck vendor and were not co-axial with the chuck when mounted. May not be germaine but...

Noah Barfield
10-10-2011, 6:46 PM
Hi all,

I wound up taking the chuck in to my closest Woodcraft. The staff there was excellent. They remounted the spindle and checked it for run out on one of their lathes. I also called Oneway this morning. According to the fellow that I talked with, there's supposed to be a gap between the rim of the spindle and the rim of the chuck. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

Noah

Jeff Nicol
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
So is the runout gone now? If not and the adapter is not flush with the collar on the spindle, there is something not letting the adapter thread on all the way. It is either the adapter has short threads cut into it or the spindle threads are longer than the adapter and bottom out before the collar on the spindle and the flat surface of the adapter make flush contact.

Jeff